Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to a gun shop to trade a 30-30 336 W. JM stamped x bolt safety. Great condition What is a good asking price for said gun. I am looking to trade for another gun. I know I will most likely take a beatin, Just looking for advice..

Thanks

Bob.

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
A gun shop will be unlikely to give, even in trade, what your rifle would get in a private sale . . here-a-bouts I'd expect $275~ $350 from a sale & half that from a trade in at the local shop.

Reactions: turbobug

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
I would either find someone who has what I want to trade or sell it in a private sale ,then go look for what I want.Gun stores will beat you down as low as they can.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Trading in a quality JM Marlin on another gun works in the dealer's favor, not yours. As boobarzo just Posted, sell it outright and use the $$$ toward whatever you are buying. If he has a particular firearm you believe is time sensitive, put on deposit on it until you sell your Marlin.

Mike T.

Reactions: farmboy

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Most dealers around here give about 60% of what they can sell it for. If it's like new I would all but garuntee it would hit the used rack at 400-450. That means you'd get about 240-270 for it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Normally I would agree with everything said above; however, there are exceptions. You won't know for sure until you try.

I recently had a decent 336W 30-30 with CB safety that I had purchased for $389 at a local pawn shop. My LGS had a nice late sixties vintage 336 30-30 in original unmolested condition marked $420.

I wanted to trade and was ready to pay $100 difference, although I didn't expect them to trade for that little.
I went in on a Saturday morning hoping my friend, an older guy, would be there and maybe be willing to deal for around $100 difference.
Instead he was gone and a young man was "in charge of trades". I told him I wanted to trade my gun for his because I shot cast bullets and bore size was critical. I had another sixties model 30-30, my Glenfield, and that it and the 336W had different bore sizes and I hoped the older one he had might be closer to my Glenfield in actual bore measurement.

He went to the back to check values and came out and said there was about $30 difference in the rifles.

I left with a much nicer rifle than I came in with. I would have felt fine with leaving him $100, but got it for $30. Also I removed the Lyman 66 peep sight from the 336W before I left home so when I made the trade I told them they could keep the rear sight off of their rifle to use on mine.

The moral of this long story is "don't just assume you can't until you try".

IMG_0739.JPG IMG_1020.JPG

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have tried a few places, even here. Not sure what I had it listed for. To much I guess.
These are tough times.

Looking to get a CZ Lux 22 Mag. I can get that for around 425. If I could get 300 I would be happy. I would make up the rest.

I will keep tring to sell out right. Any other place besides GB to list?

thanks all

Romans

·
Super Moderator
17,248 Posts
I bought a 1980 336W from my local pawn shop about a year ago, gave $240.00 out the door. I can't imagine what they paid for it for me to get it so cheap.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Billy Jack, the guy likely got raked over the coals or fired after your deal. He forgot to discount yours 40%-50%. Good on you.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The young man is still there and is very friendly to me when I come into the store now. The store is pretty large with lots of employees and is pretty loosy goosy on their inventory, etc. They have so much business going on I don't think they can keep up with minor details.
The rifle I traded in didn't even get processed and put out for sale for over a month.
Last year I traded a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 for a H&R Buffalo Classic 45-70 and walked out the door with a box of ammo and $100 of their money from the trade. I thought the trade was very fair, but it surprised me that they did it.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I just recently bought a 2004 model 336 from a nearby pawn shop for $300.00. I don't usually buy that new of a gun but it is the same year the grandson was born. I'm hoping he will appreciate it here in a few more years. I agree with the rest of the guys. You would be better off with a private sale.

WLR in E TN

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I bought a 1980 336W from my local pawn shop about a year ago, gave $240.00 out the door. I can't imagine what they paid for it for me to get it so cheap.

10501986_10152543286954840_2611241424625949177_n.jpg
I bought the gun on the left in January, it had the scope but not the ammo sleeve. I walked into the store and a guy was cleaning it, I asked how much, he said "$275, I've been cleaning this thing all mornin'" So I asked him if he'd take $250 to stop cleaning right now. I walked out with the gun and 2 boxes of Remington Kleanbore for $273. Once I got over the giddyness, I couldn't help but think of the poor dumbarse that sold them the gun for $100-150.

Reactions: Scorpiusb

·
Registered
353 Posts
I just came back from a local gun show with a 97 30.30 336 CS with a set of Williams sights on it. I gave $400.00 for it in like new condition and feel great about it. I guess things are worth what we are willing to pay. rch

·
Premium Member
6,592 Posts
[QUOTE
The rifle I traded in didn't even get processed and put out for sale for over a month.
.[/QUOTE]
Probably more to do with laws than not getting processed Most states do not allow inventory like that in trades to go out immediately in case of stolen goods.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Prices will fluctuate with the season too. after deer season rifles tend to go for cheaper; most people want to "Step up" to a bigger badder newer gun. pre season you might get one or two deals but most everyone has their guns for the winter.
also right before/ after christmas can be good.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Keep the rifle save your money and buy another one.
I go through fazes where my neck is feeling good, so I go out and shoot the 30-30 and my neck hurts for days. There are times I would like to sell it, but for what? I am a lever gun nut.

I have a Henry 22 mag , That is the one gun I would keep if I had to give them all away. It's nothing special. Just a polished trigger, stripped and blued reciever, with some textured brown paint. I just ordered the new fiber front sight for it. We shall see. Off the Henry soap box LOL.
I was looking for some lighter loads to shoot (Recipies). I have shot the reduced recoil corelocks. They throw a patten not groups.

Swaney, seems to know of a few good loads for the 125 sierra, "lost them" I was also looking at trying to the Speer 130 grain. FNSP . I have just started reloading, and have a buddy that can help me get going. The powder I have so far is H332, and Varget. I have about 25 rounds of the 125 grain, JHP from Sierra I can load those.

If anyone has 25 or so 130 gr speers they can part with I would buy them and pay shipping. I would like to try them before I buy 100. If and when I find a softer load, I can then go and get what I need as far as powder and Bullets. Load for that bullet/set it and forget it I guess.

Why the 125 or 130s. Coyote and Local vermin. Can't use for Deer in The PRI.

I do have some Data for both, Just looking for What works for y'all. For me it's accuracy then speed. I have Lymans 47 and the internet. But I would rather seek advice and recipies from those on MO. Sorry for being such a pain in the ass and waffling back and forth all the time. It's frustrating being broke, with a gun you like but really can't shoot due to a bad neck. That's one reason I like the 22 mag. It's just hard to find Ammo.

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
272 Posts
The asking price on a 336 Marlin, Glenfield, Model 30A, etc in Oklahoma seems to be about $350. I bought a Marlin Spikehorn .30-30 from a pawnshop in OKC a few weeks ago for $365. It had been fired, but had box, etc. and looked like new.

Usually the only lever rifles I'm interested in are vintage Marlins, but the little Spikehorn may wind up with my grandson.

Cedar Creek

1 - 20 of 21 Posts