Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my area I am seeing almost no used 336's or 94's or other 30-30 rifles. New ones are scarce. Lots of other guns on the shelves. By numbers ARs are most common followed by bolt guns.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Sounds like you need a road trip, a Marlin Mission if you will.

Got to be a way of finding some in your area.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
In my area I am seeing almost no used 336's or 94's or other 30-30 rifles. New ones are scarce. Lots of other guns on the shelves. By numbers ARs are most common followed by bolt guns.
You're preachin' to the choir here. There are a million and one discussions here where folks are asking for opinions on prices of nice used Marlins, and other folks here are telling them the price is too high, that unfired LNIB 1977 JM Marlins are available every day where they live for $295 with a box of ammo thrown in.

I can't ever even find nice used Marlins around here, and the beaters I do see are expensive.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
I have that problem around here too. I blame my fellow members who live nearby. They are quicker at finding them than I am.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
They're not plentiful in central Georgia either.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I am seeing very few Marlins too. Especially JM stamped guns. Found one beat too he77 30-30 the other day for $375. I saw no deal there.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Pre CBS 336s are at least 30 years old, plenty of time for scratches, rust, dings and robbed sights. Abused ones are all I found on a recent search. The prices asked on those were $375 - $450. Lever guns were once the norm here in the Missouri Ozarks and still very popular. I heard a local the other day use the term "30-30" when describing a deer rifle. It seems to some no other description is needed. "Local" (50 miles away) Armslist is starting to show a few more lever guns listings..... high prices tho.

I only wanted one, I found it, I'm done.

Reactions: Pereira

·
Registered
717 Posts
the last one i bought i got from a coworker, it was his uncles gun, a 1977 JM 336C. He didn't want to sell it but needed the money. I gave him $200, took the gun home, and told him he could have it back for $200 ANYTIME he wanted it cuz it was a family gun......he never came back.....Mike

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
I would suggest searching for your Marlin on Gunbroker.com
Ps. Use the advanced search option to narrow the possible choices to your state/region

·
Registered
735 Posts
I just found a Glenfield 30A at local pawn shop. It is very tempting, but I have 2 30-30's already and one is a Glenfield 30G.
This gun is a 1980 model and is darn near perfect except for some very light freckling near the 2 receiver sight mounting screws on the left side of the receiver. The action is like butter and the gun really looks like a safe queen, owned but not really used. They want $399 for it and they don't negotiate on guns until they have been on the shelf for 30 days and of course their Marlins never last more than a day or so. It is not a steel, but it is one with the full length mag tube with the fore end cap rather than the fore end barrel band so it should be a great shooter. I have their contact info if anyone favors Glenfields like I do.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have bought three 30-30's in the last two months.

A 1979 with a scope at a local gun show for $300, a 1952 waffle top in OK shape for $301 delivered to my door via my C&R off GunBroker, and a 1964 Glenfield 36g C&R off Gun Auction for $316 delivered in very good shape. They are out there, keep looking! Don't be afraid of one with a slightly rough exterior.

D

·
Registered
735 Posts
I am having a "senior moment"........C&R stands for?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Rick, East Knott, Middle Knott, or West Knott? You know we strangers get confused. You might try looking in other big places like Ackerly or Patricia.

Seriously, good luck in your search. Keep checking the pawn shops in Big Spring and Midland. They are kind of scarce in our area as well. My favorite Pawn shop used to have several most times. I havent seen but one there in months. They have been looking for a .44 for me for about four years now.

Reactions: RickFoster

·
Registered
735 Posts
Big Spring, Middle Knott, Ackerley.....you're getting closer and closer to "my shopping area".

Here are the Marlin lever guns that were available in Lubbock yesterday when I took my weekly tour.

Pawn shops.....444S, 450M, old 1893 32 spl, 336W 30-30, Glenfield 30A 30-30. Gun shops.......old long Oct barreled 30-30 and 32 spl, 336CS 35 Rem, 1895G 45-70, 1894S 44 mag, Mod 36 30-30, and Texan 30-30.

I would buy the 444S except I just am not interested in taking on another cartridge to load right now. The 450M is 99% & non ported. The Glenfield 30 A is a jewel. The 1894S is nice. The model 36? is really nice except it has a side mounted Redfield scope. The Texan is a consignment, nice but over priced, but about ready to get serious on price I think.

Be glad to give contact info if anyone sees something of interest.

Reactions: Pereira
1 - 20 of 36 Posts