Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I'm new to shooting. So I went on impulse and put money down on a used 25N w/scope at a gun shop in excellent condition for 169.00 All there new .22's are 229.00 and up at this gun shop.

Great personal, service but kinda high on prices.

Then I got wise and found out Walley world has new 925's for 145.00 new w/scope.
If I go get my down payment back on the used one, they will charge me 15% restocking fee (25.00) in this case.

What should I do, go with the used in excellent shape or take the 20 loss and get the new one from Walley World.??

Please any advise would be a great help to this newbie... :confused:
BTW
This is a really good site and I respect your all's opinion.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
the new one less money and better trigger :D..

Should be no restock fee as you never removed it from store.. check local chamber of commerce for laws

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree with GJ.

I don't think I would tell the gun shop that you found one cheaper though. I'm not telling you to lie but, you don't have to tell them everything.

Let us know how it turns out.

Wannabe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah they are really nice at the shop.

So I figured I would just tell them I came across a better deal and at least buy a gun cleaning kit and a case for the rifle (they have some good ones there) from them, because I do want to do business with them in the future.

Good advise guys !

Any other advice for this relatively new shooter on ammo for this rifle and other things I need to take to the range with me?
I heard that one needs to clean the rifle after about 100-200 rounds.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I purchase at the best place for prices.. I do try to give the local shops all the business but when talking 30 plus difference it pays to shop.. thats a lot of accesories and ammo :D

But you could tell them you came across new for 145.. and if they would go 120 for the used one you would consider it.. Just a thought..

Well cleaning Marlins 22 and 22mag only when wet or accuracy falls off they claim in the owners manual.. I clean mine often after every time out cause thats the way I was taught.. CCI ammo HP and SOLIDS seem to work fantastic in mine.. Danurve has different brands his likes.. you have to try different brands to see what the gun prefers.. (yes its seems they go have a brain at times when it comes to being fussy about what ammo they like LOL)

Rem oil for lube.. Hoppe's for cleaning Breakfree for cleaning and protection of outside metals.. Silicon Cloth to wipe down before storing to remove finger prints and natural salt from peoples hands.... I very rarely use the metal bristle brush, unless removing lead from barrel and with the jacketed ammo that is rare.. I use the soft cotton bore swabs look use one for solvent.. then one to clean.(dry) and one to oil push through from Breech end out the muzzle.. couple drops of oil on it and pull back through..

To remove the bolt. I imagine you still have to just hold the trigger and pull it rearward fo remove and install the same way.. ( just incase you get the used on with no book.. call marlin and have them send you one..)

Don't try to play at 100 yds with new rifle.. start out at 25yds and work your way out .. don't get discuratged cause takes time to get trigger pull, breathing all in sync to shoot steady and well..
Any other questions?? just post ,, many experts here that can and will help,, And no I am not one of them.. Good Luck to You..

Ps.. Learn to disasemble and clean and reassemble before shooting.. make sure you clean the bore before shooting and new or used rifle.. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Gunjunkie for the much needed tips. These will definately help me out.

I've heard and read so many things on the triggers for these 25N's that I'm kinda confused. If the trigger feels hard should I just take it to a gunsmith and ask him to lighten it up a bit? Or should I try a trick u might know? I'm very mechanical and like to tinker with things but I'm going to take it slow and try to learn the right things to do as I go.

Thanks Again 8)

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
well try it first.. I never did anything to mine and I can shoot ok with it.... but you can upgrade to a custom trigger.. I would not attempt to change things around with the springs being new to shooting.. If you just going to punch paper. then go the trigger route.. if hunting, you won't notice it much..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts