Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the next day or two I will be looking at a used Marlin 1894M with scope. The asking price is $375 ...

This is what I know about it: bought used and had malfunctons, sent to Marlin and fixed / rebarreled, Blue is described as 90% and the stock refinished but the privious owner sanded the tang area so there is a gap(s). I hope he didn't goof with the forend.

There is a NIB priced at $550 and a NRA Fine with a bid up to $442. I know the price books are just a guide with one showing EX at $225 and GD at $153 so ... what is the take here on MO? I will have a chance to shoot it, and has about 1 or 2 boxes of ammo through the new barrel with 100 yd groups (not sure if 3 or 5 shot) of 1 1/2 inch. Input welcomed!

Thanks !!! Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
1894m

this model is becoming very collectible.I would jump on one at $375.00 in that cond't.I would be all over one nib for $550.00

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
1894M

I'd be inclined to use the sanding as a price bargaining point. Depending upon how badly you want one of these, consider making the guy a bit of a low offer. - After first asking if he'd be offended if you made an offer.
Anyway, if he will go for an offer, make one a little low and he might (or might not) come down. - It's always an iffy proposition, but it certainly doesn't cost anything to try. I've seen that model offered for sale in this region in the 450.00 range in original well-used condition. SW

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looked at it today!

Well, it was sanded down about 1/8 inch in the tang area. I didn't shoot it as was windy this evening. The serial no. started with 170xxx and one book I looked in listed manufactuing dates as 1986 to 1988 .... which appears to be wrong [Twenty fifth GunTraders Guide] and the blue book only listed the last year of manufacture.

Told owner I would have to sleep on it .... was tempting to take home but I will have to think on it for a day or two. I really wasn't looking for one but it is growing on me ..... Mike

·
Registered
496 Posts
Most were made in 1983 like the one you are looking at with some later. I would have to check but I think they were listed in the Marlin catalogs from 1983 to about 1988. As you found out the books can be misleading. I have seen quite a few errors in the Schwings Standard Book of Gun Values. Brophy lists 12088 as being made. Parley

·
Registered
496 Posts
What brand scope is on the rifle? Parley

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Parley its just a Tasco variable and he knows there used value is low. His bottom dollar without the scope is $340 and he knows there not easy to find. He got is used and had feeding problems so sent back to Marlin. They fixed the problem ($70) and also replace barrel as said was not up to there accracy standards. The front of the bolt does stick out about a sixteenth of an inch but is flush in the back. He said the one and one half inch groups were with 33 grain loads since he got it back from Marlin.

I asked him if he still had the paper with the service work on it from Marlin. My 1952 39A will be in from the east coast on Tuesday so will go look at (and probable shoot / get ) the 1894M then.

We have about 4 plus inches of heavy snow right now and still coming down. In 1999 on the 22 of April it snowed 52 plus inches. Looks like the range will be muddy for some time. Another spring delay in range time. Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts