Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
In a move clearly intended by the Obama Administration to suppress the acquisition, ownership and use of AR-15s and other .223 caliber general purpose rifles, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives unexpectedly announced today that it intends to ban commonplace M855 ball ammunition as “armor piercing ammunition.” The decision continues Obama’s use of his executive authority to impose gun control restrictions and bypass Congress.

It isn’t even the third week of February, and the BATFE has already taken three major executive actions on gun control. First, it was a major change to what activities constitute regulated “manufacturing” of firearms. Next, BATFE reversed a less than year old position on firing a shouldered “pistol.” Now, BATFE has released a “Framework for Determining Whether Certain Projectiles are ‘Primarily Intended for Sporting Purposes’ Within the Meaning of 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(17)(c)”, which would eliminate M855’s exemption to the armor piercing ammunition prohibition and make future exemptions nearly impossible.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150213/batfe-to-ban-common-ar-15-ammo

ATF will carefully consider all comments, as appropriate, received on or before March 16, 2015, and will give comments received after that date the same consideration if it is practical to do so, but assurance of consideration cannot be given except as to comments received on or before March 16, 2015. ATF will not acknowledge receipt of comments. Submit comments in any of three ways (but do not submit the same comments multiple times or by more than one method):

ATF email: [email protected]

I sent my comments to ATF along with emails to my Senators.

CD

·
Premium Member
6,294 Posts
Hmmm, this proves that they are worried about future decisions they will make about our gun rights. They really are scared about the outcome of future laws and executive actions. It will only get worse from here. It seems we are powerless against executive actions.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Unfortunately, a plain language interpretation of the LAW makes it easy to justify a ban. Note that cheap soviet 5.45 surplus disappeared after a ***** made an AK74 pistol available.
Suggest writing your congressmen to get a legislative remedy. Otherwise we are subject to the vagaries of the regulatory process.

·
Premium Member
6,294 Posts
Their idea of "homeland security" is a disarmed public, and a fully funded, military style US Gestapo or SS.

Reactions: WRM

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,362 Posts
Steel core ammo is often lumped into the vague and blurred category of 'Armor Piercing' since the steel is harder than lead. Vague laws that can be interpreted to suit their means seems to be the preferred method of legislation. With this administration it has certainly been especially emphasized. AC

·
Registered
21,691 Posts
What's it going to take to get our rights back?

Gr8rtst

Reactions: Magnum6

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Keep in mind that generally speaking the 55 grain will bore through metal plates with ease.
The M855 is pretty good stuff but I don't personally think it's al that great.

It's mostly for shooting at people hiding behind cars and the like.

Still I'll probably buy a case before March.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
What's it going to take to get our rights back?

Gr8rtst
An all out war between the right and most of the left" or just throw down your arms and surrender to um brother.... Very simple .... Ya ever listen to the debates on C ~ Span going on daily on TV , Brother :)

Magnum6

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Keep in mind that generally speaking the 55 grain will bore through metal plates with ease.
The M855 is pretty good stuff but I don't personally think it's al that great.

It's mostly for shooting at people hiding behind cars and the like.

Still I'll probably buy a case before March.
Well all this is so stupid, it's pathetic . Like a whole lot of these big hot bolt guns won't bore through cars and the like :biggrin: HA" I got a surprise for um , If I Even need it !.... As far as another band by the government , I'm not worried" , I took care of That Several" years ago when I stocked up on my component's and supplies , but those that are not equipped and haven't done it , may one of these days wished" , they had of , before long , not only .223 , but All caliber rounds of what ever they shoot ! I been sittin back , Watchin , listen to all these jerk's in Washington for the better of the last 20 + years , showing Me there hands .... I AIN~T Worried about none of um ..... Like I've said before , come in here on me , and try to take me and my stuff , and we'll all go out in a hell of a blaze of glory period . Then the 2nd. Battery of rounds behind Those" brave sole's can have at it all" , what's left" , and clean up Another one of there Big messes , just like they did down in Waco" , for one stupid mess they got them self's into . I Don't Care ! .... I can't hurt um too much" , but like the movie Rambo".... The'll remember that day for a long time !.... Bring It !

MAGNUM6

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
They can't take away our AR's ,so they will ban .223 ammo.Time for me to start hitting Wallyword again,so I can start filling ten .50 cal ammo boxes up with .223,like I did with the 22lr.Right now there is no limit on .223.i just picked up 10 - 20 rd boxes of Tula on Fri for just under $50 with my 10% discount card.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Gentlemen ... you'll never stock enough ammo. Not ever. The only way to stay supplied is to make sure the supply is kept available according to our 2nd Amendment Rights.

Listen - if you email the BATFE to complain you automatically go on their watch list ... you'll be the first ones they come visit.

Email, call, write, Western Union, go see your congressmen.

Spread the word and keep spreading it, keep the conversation current, on every gun board of which you are a member. Keep talking about it ... we really need to make a big deal about this around the country, with everyone.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Yeah and for SURE" don't Email , call , Western Union , or see that liberal Muslim in That White house . Don't show your hand there fer sure .

Magnum6

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Yeah and for SURE" don't Email , call , Western Union , or see that liberal Muslim in That White house . Don't show your hand there fer sure .

Magnum6
Don't email the BATFE.

Email your Senator and Congressman. Call your Senator and Congressman. Western Union your Senator and Congressman.

But you do not want to email any Federal Agency. There's already been a ton of warnings put-out even by the liberal media about that ... even Whitehouse.gov, under Obama, puts you on a list if you use their petition service. All of the government agencies are the same.

The Senators and House of Reps have a separate service they use that guarantees privacy except in the event of a threat.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
BATFE Ammo Ban Urgent Action Needed

Hey Y'all,

I'm sure by now some of you have heard about the proposed BATFE M855/SS109 ammo ban. If you are unfamiliar with this ammo, it is surplus 5.56 ammo that almost every MSR shooter has used at one point or another. Basically is it inexpensive range fodder with a feature that the ptb feels threatened by. They want to ban this type of ammo even though it has never been used in the commission of any crimes. They tried to ban the rifle and failed so now they are coming after the ammo. I looked around and didn't see the below quoted petition being discussed here.

To cut to the chase, there is an official White House petition that was started two days ago. If this ammo ban matters to you, please go to the White House link at the bottom of this post and sign the petition. Then pass it along to every 2A supporter you know. We must be RELENTLESS because the people who want to take away our rights are.

If there are less than 1,000,000 signatures (ONLY 20% of NRA membership) by the date this petition closes, we have nobody to blame but ourselves for not speaking up when we had the opportunity to make a difference. We only need 100,000 signatures but history has taught us that matters like this must be settled not just in a marginal defeat, but with a complete and utter defeat that sends a strong message.

Quote:
we petition the obama administration to:
Stop the BATFE from banning XM855 Ammunition.

The proposed outline for a ban on XM855 or SS109 is a 5.56x45mm NATO cartridge and is not by the BATFE's definition of AP (armor piercing) ammunition. First, a little background.

The following is that definition:

“(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium,

(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.”

This law only applies to handgun ammunition., not rifle cartridges therefore cannot be banned by the same means.
Published Date: Feb 14, 2015
Number of signatures needed by March 16, 2015 to reach minimum goal of 100,000 .....91,752

As of 2-16-15 there are 8,248 signatures.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...ition/XrvVh1cj

You may also submit your comments directly to the BATFE in one of three ways.

* ATF website: [email protected]. Follow the instructions for submitting comments.

* Fax: (202) 648-9741.

* Mail: Denise Brown, Mailstop 6N-602, Office of Regulatory Affairs, Enforcement Programs and Services, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, 99 New York Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20226: ATTN: AP Ammo Comments.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Denise Brown, Enforcement Programs and Services, Office of Regulatory Affairs, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, U.S. Department of Justice, 99 New York Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20226; telephone: (202) 648-7070.

Mods, if you could make this a sticky until the petition due date, I'd super appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts