Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 336 cs in 30-30. Question about the action function. Without a round in the gun, the action will not close when upside down or near upside down. It locks up close to the end of the stroke. It looks like it somehow doesn't like the locking block being pushed toward the bolt by gravity? I've tried a couple in the stores and they seem to close in this position. Any suggestions for an easy fix?

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Work fine here and we're upsidedown all the time. ;D ;D

Mark.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thats good one oz hadn't thought of that. but I just tryed it on my 336 worked slick upside down So if it works good upright I wouldnt worry to much abt. it.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Come on, guys. He's new. But Oz's note was really good.

I just tried all three of mine - 336CSs in .30-30 and .35, and a 30AW in .30-30 - and even a Winnie 94. All cycled and locked up just fine inverted. I tend to agree, though, if it works properly in normal attitudes, don't worry and enjoy your rifle.

On the other hand, Texas just legalized wild pig depredation hunting from aircraft. Style points for shooting from the top of an aileron roll. . .

·
Registered
180 Posts
Welcome to the forum 28gauge2 didn't mean to hack at ya. Break the action down put some good gun grease on moving parts then try it.may not be the fix but it wont hurt it none. :)

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Gravity, coupled with a locking bolt that has been slicked up some (possibly by a previous owner), allows it to drop into the bolt, before the lug on the lever can engage the lug on the locking bolt. This leaves your lever about 1/4" from closing all the way (as measured just above the center of the trigger guard). Is that a fair description of what you are trying to tell us?

Like others have said, if it works in the conventional firing position, I wouldn't worry about it too much. And like others have said, some grease my provide sufficient resistance to prevent gravity from doing its thing.

Now... That being said, if the locking bolt tolerances are not sufficient (too loose) to lock the bolt securely, that is another matter. When you close the lever and the rest of the action in a conventional shooting position, and everything looks like it where it is supposed to be, is there much end play in the bolt that you can see or feel by manipulating the bolt itself back and forth in the closed and locked position?

·
Registered
871 Posts
I went to the doctor and said "Doc, it hurts when I do this." The doctor said "Then stop doing it!" ;D

Anybody else remember Hee Haw? I just thought it was fitting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts