Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my second attempt to shoot the shiny and expensive 1894c in stainless. First time I was out with some members on here. They told me the aluminum casings were no good. I had to feed one and shoot it one by one. Today I go out with RWS brand 158 grain FMJ FP. Thing jams on the 6th round. Jams so bad I asked for assistance at the range. Got two different answers and a bullet still stuck. Took it to the gunsmith. Will pick up tomorrow. I don't know enough to fiddle with it. I was feeding one at a time and firing one at a time. Can't find manual. Tried Marlin site only to tell me the link is broken. Any suggestions? Guy at gun shop said it will be a minimum of $55.00 as the rifle needs to be taken apart. The 22mag bolt-action and Glenfield 20 bolt LR both shot fine. They are way less expensive than this shiny thing that is ticking me off.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
That's kinda like the guy who buys a new lawnmower guaranteed to cut 100 acres a day...A week later he brings back to the store complaining to the store clerk that he can only get it to cut 25 acres a day. The Clerk opens the reservoir and begins to pour fuel into the mower, when the customer ask's, "What's that?"

There is really not enough information to diagnose your problem over the internet. Assuming you doubled checked all the screws and you were using "Quality" ammunition (hmm), then the problem could lie within the rifle.

If the Smith is not familiar with Marlins, then it may/or may not diagnose and correct the problem.

Don't give up...

·
Registered
811 Posts
OK, let's try to find out some stuff.
New rifle or used?
Caliber? I figure you are shooting a 357 or a 38.
Did you run any rounds thru from the tube mag, without firing, for a function check?
How is it jammed? Locked up with empty in chamber? Locked open? Lever half closed?
You say you are feeding single rounds, directly into chamber or from tube mag?
Details will make a difference.
CF
Also, a location would help, a member here may be local enough to take a look.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks CF. The gun was new in box. I shot it for the first time last year with some members on here in Jacksonville, Florida. I did NOT load thru the tube but, directly into the chamber where the bullet is stuck. The rifle is a .38/357. It is locked open if having the lever out away from the gun means open. I fired 5 rounds without a hitch of the 158 grain FMJ brass. The 6 round jammed. Went directly from the range to gun shop where there is a gunsmith. Will find out more tomorrow. Thanks for not giving me a parable and sermon. Asking the questions you did help me to give the details to people willing to help. The other reply to my post is why I don't generally ask or post much here or any forum for that matter. One guy at the range said it was because the round is flat. The other said I didn't have the round seated properly. This is brand new. Not ever 25 rounds thru it. My pawn shop specials shoot like a charm. Sure wish I would have found this forum first before buying a gun prone to jams. Seems to be very common just from this form and, not something that happened just recently. There is a history from just reading on this forum.

·
Registered
603 Posts
some of the newer guns have problems with carrier timing. (thats the piece inside that moves the cartridge from the mag and positions it to feed into the chamber.) It sounds to me that's the problem. Usually fixed with a couple of well placed whacks with a mallet.

·
Registered
489 Posts
NiraBlue said:
... Sure wish I would have found this forum first before buying a gun prone to jams. Seems to be very common just from this form and, not something that happened just recently. There is a history from just reading on this forum.
The jams "common" with these rifles that I am aware of are in the feeding process from the tube into the chamber.
You seem to be describing one in the chamber and, apparently from what you wrote, after firing. Whether before or after firing, your problem is out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe a nice face to face trade for a hungarian Ak 47? Just kidding and letting off steam. Gonna sleep it off and hopefully all will be well after gunsmith is done with it and my purse!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I haven't read anything about trouble with these rifles cycling standard rounds, only .38s. You could be a victim of some new Remlin problem we haven't heard of or it could still be an ammo problem. If I shoot magtechs with the nickel colored cases they get a little sticky in my Marlin but federal and winchester are butter. Some winchester 38s key hole at 40 yards, while others can hit hickory nuts at 75.

Stripping down the marlin is easy. And if it is stuck in the chamber may be as simple as running a rod back down the pipe (if your sure the bullet left the barrel), and a little prying on the back of the case. Did you inspect and clean before firing?

I believe the first poster was sincerely trying to help. Might not have been the way you liked it but he was the first to read your post and think "He is having a hard time, maybe I will encourage him". Be careful on your criticism there, I'm new to this forum but these guys seem to be top notch. Its easy to get disconnected with people when you are typing but remember there are actual people on the other side. Show a little restraint and respect with people and you will be amazed at how many good ones are out there.

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
New guns tend to be tight and harder to cycle since none of the moving parts have had a chance to wear in together. And it sounds like some of these issues may be ammo-related. Was the ammo the cheapest you could find? I've never shot any of the RWS but I used to buy Selier & Bellot ammo with FMJ bullets, and it was barely worth what I paid for it, which wasn't much.

Some 1894's chambered for 357 will feed 38's, some most definitely will NOT. Some become more tolerant of different-length rounds as the break-in process progresses. My well-worn and beloved 1894C in 357 shoots like a house afire unless I load it with 38's, then it chokes like a dyspeptic water buffalo. Once you sort out the ammo issues and get some break-in done, I think you'll come to love that rifle. But don't scrimp on the ammo, either.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Did the ammo have steel or aluminum cases --they can tend to swell more than brass cases--that may be the only problem.

Steve

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
RWS is up there with the best in the world.

Mark.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Just a thought.. you really do have to lever them hard when new.. and make sure they cycle all the way front to rear.. .. you can't baby them at all.. if you short lever it ( not going all the way forward ..it will jam...

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
If you have other people that are members here going with you. one may know how to tweak it for you.. we have full detailed instructions in the Reference Library

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Look for the cure NiraBlue ... don't give up on one of the world's best "fun guns." I think you have been given some sound advice here. I would definately look at as much info in our library as you possibly can.

Following up on PJ's post, I would try other ammo. I would never judge a rifle by the first choice as it "might" be the worst choice for your rifle. I would also try .357's through the tube and cycle your rifle as Gunjunkie has suggested.

As far as not wanting to post questions here because you might get answers you don't like, I suggest posting every dang question you want to post. Then you sift through all of the replies and find what works best for you. I have seen brand new members who post a question only to have some veteran here slam 'em because that question has been asked so many times before. These kind of things do NOT occur very often at MO's but when they do, laugh it off, and keep on going ;). We are interested in your problems as we are "all in this together."

bjm

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks gentlemen for all the replies. The rounds are .357 in FMJ brass at 158 grain. I have not tried .38 at all. I actually read good reviews and thought RWS is a better brand over say the Winchester White box. Is $22.00 for 50 considered "cheap" for this? Still early so I don't expect to hear from the gunsmith until later in the day. Again, thanks for all the input as it is appreciated.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm no expert, but I wonder: Have you examined the fired cases? I wonder if there isn't possibly some problem in the chamber (i.e. a 'rough spot') that's causing the cases to hang up. If that's the case, I'd imagine each fired case would show scratches, etc. and perhaps a little judicious smoothing of the chamber might help.

Also -- I wonder if it wouldn't make sense to throw on the safety, load the tube and see how they cycle using the lever. I've never tried to "hand feed" my 1894CS -- I've always fed it from the tube mag, and I've never had a bobble. Since it's designed as a repeater, not a single shot, I wonder if you might get better results feeding one round into the tube, cycling the lever, firing, and repeating rather than trying to stick a round directly into the chamber with your hand?

NEway -- I hope when you get it back from the smith at least he'll (having been able to see and handle it) have some more informed answers for you. One other question (I have to): Is this a "JM" marlin or a "Remlin" (in other words, is the proof mark JM or REM?)

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
bigjeepman said:
Look for the cure NiraBlue ... don't give up on one of the world's best "fun guns." I think you have been given some sound advice here. I would definately look at as much info in our library as you possibly can.

Following up on PJ's post, I would try other ammo. I would never judge a rifle by the first choice as it "might" be the worst choice for your rifle. I would also try .357's through the tube and cycle your rifle as Gunjunkie has suggested.

As far as not wanting to post questions here because you might get answers you don't like, I suggest posting every dang question you want to post. Then you sift through all of the replies and find what works best for you. I have seen brand new members who post a question only to have some veteran here slam 'em because that question has been asked so many times before. These kind of things do NOT occur very often at MO's but when they do, laugh it off, and keep on going ;). We are interested in your problems as we are "all in this together."

bjm
bjm--

Amen--very well stated.

Steve

·
Registered
811 Posts
NiraBlue said:
I did NOT load thru the tube but, directly into the chamber where the bullet is stuck. The rifle is a .38/357. It is locked open if having the lever out away from the gun means open. I fired 5 rounds without a hitch of the 158 grain FMJ brass. .... One guy at the range said it was because the round is flat. The other said I didn't have the round seated properly. This is brand new. Not ever 25 rounds thru it. My pawn shop specials shoot like a charm. Sure wish I would have found this forum first before buying a gun prone to jams. Seems to be very common just from this form and, not something that happened just recently. There is a history from just reading on this forum.
I have to ask, you say the bullet is stuck in the barrel? Bullet stuck in barrel would be ammo problem. If the brass case is stuck in the chamber, sounds like a rough chamber, or bad extractor. Extractor problems can occur single loading as the extractor is designed to not need to jump over the rim as it does when you load directly into chamber.
Would the lever move at all?
I would not spend a lot of time listening to "guy at range" unless he was shooting several lever actions. Lot of mis-information gets passed that way, and I have seen some real boneheads at a gun range.
CF

1 - 20 of 59 Posts