Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last 10 years or so I have been using an even older Hornady AP progressive press for loading bulk 223 and pistol ammo. In this time I have loaded many thousands of rounds but have never liked the press due to its finicky operation, especially when priming and ejecting cases. During the coronavirus shutdown I really got back into reloading but after a couple thousand rounds of 9mm and 357 mag I finally had enough of the AP!

Called a client who is a Dillon distributor and went to look at a XL750 on Monday after work. After some hands-on with the demo in the photos I ordered a 750 in 357 magnum along with the automatic case feeder and a few other goodies. I was originally told it would take 4-6 weeks but called earlier and they think it is on the next shipment. Also wound up buying several caliber conversions so should be able to hit the ground running. It wasn't cheap but I realized a long time ago you don't save any money by reloading. Ha! I never saved a dime but have shot a ton of ammo!

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Dlllon makes great products and backs them up . Because I now have a lot of time and enjoy reloading my own ammo I think that I will just stay with my Herter's turret press and my Super O single stage from the same company as they have paid for themselves many times over in the last fifty years.

·
Premium Member
15,316 Posts
For the last 10 years or so I have been using an even older Hornady AP progressive press for loading bulk 223 and pistol ammo. In this time I have loaded many thousands of rounds but have never liked the press due to its finicky operation, especially when priming and ejecting cases. During the coronavirus shutdown I really got back into reloading but after a couple thousand rounds of 9mm and 357 mag I finally had enough of the AP!

Called a client who is a Dillon distributor and went to look at a XL750 on Monday after work. After some hands-on with the demo in the photos I ordered a 750 in 357 magnum along with the automatic case feeder and a few other goodies. I was originally told it would take 4-6 weeks but called earlier and they think it is on the next shipment. Also wound up buying several caliber conversions so should be able to hit the ground running. It wasn't cheap but I realized a long time ago you don't save any money by reloading. Ha! I never saved a dime but have shot a ton of ammo!

Congratulations,
I started loading my handgun ammo on a Dillon 550 in about 1985, I upgraded to the 650 with case feeder in 2001.
great presses and Dillon has excellent customer service

20190428_150919.jpg

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I am pretty sure that the 750 is a 650 that uses the priming system design from the 550.
Hope that works better. I had a 650 that would not prime a case. Returned it for service, still would not work. Then had to fight with them for a refund. No blue in my house now. Went with Hornady lock and load and have been happy now 10 years.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hope that works better. I had a 650 that would not prime a case. Returned it for service, still would not work. Then had to fight with them for a refund. No blue in my house now. Went with Hornady lock and load and have been happy now 10 years.
You are not the one with the new press. No need to talk down the OPs new purchase or to blame Dillon for your ineptitude.

·
Banned
3,196 Posts
I almost bought a 750 when they first announced them, but had other financial obligations, I'm sure its a refinement of the 650. maybe I just wanna keep getting the blue press for the models on the cover are very easy on these old eyes.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I picked up a used Dillon 550 at a garage sale about 18 years ago - was missing a few parts that Dillon replaced (in spite of my insistence that they were missing from the used press when I bought it - they told me "Doesn't matter, life-time warranty".) In any case, I've been reloading nine different cartridges on that press ever since. No telling how many have been loaded. You should enjoy that press!

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Love my 550. got it partially in tact and in "stored in the attic for 5 years" condition, free from a neighbor I helped on a house project.
Drove over to the Dillon plant. (20 min north of me) ... Told him the story and showed him what I had... The salesman and i went over all the parts missing or "should be replaced" All of the parts were handed to me free. I ended up buying a bunch of die holders, powder chargers, plates and extra primer tubes etc. to set up my bulk ammo loading while i was there.
They're customer service is fantastic, and you should see all the Mini guns they have in the back!

The thing has run like a Swiss watch for the last 7 years. keep it clean and basic general care and it will run FOREVER. your'e gonna love it once you get it dialed in.
I load for all my bulk, range blasting ammo on it now. 9mm, 45acp, .223, 40sw.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I love my 550. It can be tempermental at times but for the most part it just cranks out ammo.
Also the Dillon dies are great.
I load 45ACP, 38 Special, .357 mag and 44 Mag on mine. The 45ACP is dedicated with powder and all. The rest share powder measures.
The last problem I had was th loaded round bracket got bumped and was causing primers to launch or not feed. It was hitting the indexer. Not the presses fault.
Have patience with your press it does take some getting used to.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts