Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just bought a 1951 336 in 30-30 over the weekend. The original sights are a little hard to see so I'd like to change them for the better.

The rifle currently has a rear sight mounted in the barrel dovetail and the front sight is mounted on a ramp. The front sight has a gold bead that's barely gold looking anymore (mostly silver now).

I'm mainly going to use the rifle for target shooting but might get a wild hair to go hunt with it one day.

Being that it's an old rifle, it doesn't have the scope mounting holes on top. It does have the holes on the side, however.

Is the barrel mount with a standard aperature my best choice? I've used a receiver mounted peep sight before but not one mounted on the barrel. Does it work just as well?

And since the sourdough front sight isn't available, would the brass one be a good option for better visibility?

Thanks!

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
Hello Edogg,

The vintage "Wavey Top" Rifles are very cool! Congrats on finding a treasure!

The Barrel Mounted Peep sights actually do work well. Closer to the eye would certainly be an advantage but accuracy is very acceptable with the barrel mount. The side mounted aperture sights do interfere with the slim lines of the receivers and the barrel mount keeps everything nice and "sleek".

I've been shooting one on a Browning Mod. 65 in 218 Bee and average 1" groups at 50 yards just shooting casually.

Check us out at www.skinnersights.com

Thanks Edogg,

Andy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Andy, thanks for the quick reply!

I know that personal taste has a lot to do with sights, but would the brass front sight be a good mate to the barrel peep sight? I'm looking to increase the visibility of them to make them easier to line up.

Any timeframe on getting some sourdough sights made? Could one be made as a special order?

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
Hello Edogg,

Sourdoughs will be some time out still... I love them and will bring them back.

Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts