Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Re: 1894 .32-20 Info needed.

Hey there HL -- I couldn't find the information I was looking for either so here I go, rooting around in my feeble memory. Marlin made a fairly limited run of the CL (stands for Classic) model 1894 from about 1989 through 1992. These came in .218BEE, 25-20 and 32-20. Some more trickled out into 1994 or so in small runs for Ducks Unlimited and the NRA I think. The serial numbers are preceded by "CL" and the first two or four numbers are the caliber (i.e. CL32xxx is a 32-20, CL25xxx is a 25-20 etc.). They have a 22" round barrel and half magazine tube. Sweet rifles. Here is what they look like. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Wind - you are a truly amazing wealth of knowledge and a gentleman. Thank you for the quick reply. The rifle in question is quoted as being in good shape.

Pricing not set yet, low to mid 400 range is what the seller is thinking. Is that a decent price point?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts

Hey again HL -- I would think you need to keep a good eye on your six so you don't get trampled in the rush at that price!! Ease on up to the 32-40, 38-55 section and Wet Dog has been posting about his "dive into financial ruin" after acquiring a 32-20 and trying to keep it fed. Be warned -- they are a fun rifle (a touch of enabling here). Thanks for the kind words. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
433 Posts

You absolutely need to reload for the 32-20...
and then when you get some extra time, make the box that holds them....see my avatar.. homemade boxes.
You then realize you have stepped off the deep end.

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts

I've been lucky enough to add both a .32-20 and .25-20 to my Marlin collection. The price you talk about for that .32-20 is quite low IMHO. I wouldn't waste any time in acquiring it if I were you.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts

Husker - At that price I am surprised it hasn't had the serial number ground off. LOL.
I have one, and just a word of warning. If your wife, or girlfriend, shoots it, it's a goner. A true joy to shoot with good accuracy, no recoil and mild muzzle blast. When you get it remember the almost mandatory pictures and range report. Shenandoah

·
Registered
368 Posts

Wind said:
Hey there HL -- I couldn't find the information I was looking for either so here I go, rooting around in my feeble memory. Marlin made a fairly limited run of the CL (stands for Classic) model 1894 from about 1989 through 1992. These came in .218BEE, 25-20 and 32-20. Some more trickled out into 1994 or so in small runs for Ducks Unlimited and the NRA I think. The serial numbers are preceded by "CL" and the first two or four numbers are the caliber (i.e. CL32xxx is a 32-20, CL25xxx is a 25-20 etc.). They have a 22" round barrel and half magazine tube. Sweet rifles. Here is what they look like. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind
How did you mount that tang sight?? I bought one new from Gander mountain about 3 years ago and the serial number is on the top tang where it would have to be drilled for a sight.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts

Hey there jkingrph -- Carefully!! The rear sight mounting screw is in fact the tang screw. The forward most screw did just clear the last serial number by about an 1/8 of an inch or so. If you have a Marbles 1894 tang sight, lay it on the tang and see if it will clear your numbers. Here's a shot of that rifle. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts

Hey again jkingrph -- Lyman makes an adapter for rifles with the serial numbers on top of the tang. I'm not a big fan of Lyman tang sights, but you may be able to modify one of their adapters for a Marbles tang sight. I haven't needed to go down that road yet, so I don't know what's involved. Here is how they play. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
51 Posts

i just picked up one of these little guns myself. Mines a ducks unlimited model,but the serial number dont have no letters or 32,s in it,as alluded to above. Mine has the first two numbers of 10,,so assuming it is a 1990 model.

Ive got about 350 rounds threw it now,and am really happy with it.I had to buy a .313 sizer die for it,and then the wide fliers pretty much dissapeared.Will shoot 5 shot [email protected] 50 yards,very close to 1 inch,with the 311316 boolit,and 2400 powder.It hates hot loads,so i load it to around 1200 f.p.s.,,then it is really happy.

I also stoned the hammer,and trigger,and eneded up with a pull of about 1.5 pounds,,Exellent!!!! It came with about a 10 pound trigger,

My advice,,,you should jump on that deal,fast! Then just try to find some brass for it.......... :'( :'( :'( :'(

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks for all the encourgement and arm twisting, tried to resist but there's just too many of ya! ;D

Been communicating with the seller, here is the scoop; I'll be picking the rifle up in 3 to 4 days, for $400.00. Did not get too much into details on some extras, as they had to make an unexpected trip out of town today, so by this weekend I should be posting some pictures been hot down here in Texas so we'll see about some range time when it drops below triple digits.

Will come with some ammo, not sure how much just yet, has ghost ring sights installed currently.

Should be a fun rifle, I thought my daughter might like shooting this one, as well as the wife, quite sure I'll get some time with it, but if I don't there is my fallback 1894C in .357 that I like to shoot, outfitted with a skinner peep sight, and soon to have scout scope setup like Papajohn's rifles.

Thanks again for the information and gentle prodding. Pictures to come this weekend.

·
Registered
368 Posts

Wind said:
Hey there jkingrph -- Carefully!! The rear sight mounting screw is in fact the tang screw. The forward most screw did just clear the last serial number by about an 1/8 of an inch or so. If you have a Marbles 1894 tang sight, lay it on the tang and see if it will clear your numbers. Here's a shot of that rifle. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind
I do have one, on an 1894 Cowboy 44 mag. I shall pull it off and give it a look.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Updated with photos. The wood is dark in regular light but the grain shows up nice in sunlight. It has a waxy look to it, thinking about refinishing it with either Tru-oil or LinSpeed oil.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there HL -- That is one sweet lookin' rifle!! Bet it's one sweet shooter too. Just gotta love them... Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
103 Posts
HL, that is one good looking rifle. Nice looking wood to it. This has been a nice thread to follow. Congrats on the new, and unique, Marlin 1894 in your family.

:)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for the kind words Wind and Mastodon. Have about 60 rounds that came with it, so hoping to get to the range soon and see how she shoots.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey again HL -- That should last about 2 1/2 minutes!! You'll find that little rifle has a voracious appetite. You'll blink and the box will be empty!! Best regards. Wind

1 - 18 of 18 Posts