Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all I want to thank all of you who dropped by, welcomed me to the crew and made nice comments about my Dad's 1947 model 36!
Secondly, whoever it was that said my Dad would not take any money for the gun, you were right. When mom mentioned to him that I wanted
to say thank you with some cash he called and told me "Absolutely not!" He said at 85 he no longer has any use for the gun, that its mine now
and just enjoy it. I told him how honored I was to have it and assured him it would be put to good use hunting in my beloved State of Vermont
where we were both born and raised.

Also I want to apologize for miss labeling my .30-30 as a 36-A. It is not. It is the carbine model with a 20" barrel and a full length magazine
and as such it is a 1947 model 36-C. The problem is that the barrel band covers part of the gun designation and all you can see is the 36-(?).
I wrote that after I had brought the gun home and it was all new to me but I am confident now that it is a C. The Thread marked:
"Marlin 36, what model, C?" has some great pictures at the bottom that confirm what I have researched. For you guys out there fortunate
enough to live where you can go out and shoot this time of the year...happy shooting! I can't wait till spring when I get to finally do
some range work with my beloved 36 and prepare for next fall's hunting season!
(Meanwhile I will just clean, polish and look forward to spring!)

Marlin Model 36A 002.JPG
Marlin .30-30 model 36-C 1947
Marlin 22 Cal. model 60 ("Remlin") New Gun w/Simmons 4 X 32 Scope

·
Premium Member
13,419 Posts
Great story and a great rifle. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Great story Congrats

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Great to hear your story. I'll bet it's a rare feeling to take your heirloom out in the field - almost as good as having you dad along.

Reactions: unitcrane

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Great story! That gun is a couple of years older than me and I sure wish I were in that good of shape. I never was that pretty.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Great story! That gun is a couple of years older than me and I sure wish I were in that good of shape. I never was that pretty.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Mark, thanks for the update. There's nothing like hunting with "Dad's gun." :top: As for waiting for better weather to get in some shooting, I know how you feel! :y:

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Thanks for the update! John

·
Registered
768 Posts
That's just a good deal all around. You made your Father feel good by accepting his rifle. You're happy having his rifle, and by you're story, you cherish it. Made me feel good just reading it. Thanks for posting. Needed a boost.

Reactions: unitcrane

·
Super Moderator
15,611 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Congratulations!

·
Registered
14,837 Posts
Your dad is happy, you are happy and one day your heir to that Marlin will also have a story to tell.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Welcome aboard! Enjoy... and a nice rifle too.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Great story. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,338 Posts
Welcome from Midcoast Maine.
Don't let a little cold keep you out of the range! Nothing like shooting off of snowshoes. Just be prepared for the possibility that the target frame is under the snow.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Thanks for the update. Didn't figure he'd take any money.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Nice rifle, great memories and more to come.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts