Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I purchased my first 39A on June 5, 2011 and took it back to Scheels on July 4, 2011 because I couldn't close the lever anymore. They sent it in to their gunsmiths in Sioux Falls and I just heard back from them today. They said the gun is good to go now, but what was wrong was something called the carrier was getting out of alignment. They tweaked it a bit, tightned it up and such and fired 30 rounds through it without a hitch. So I should have the rifle back next week.

I asked them if I had done anything wrong regarding maintenance or something and they said, no, it looked more like a factory assembly problem. When I had the rifle initially it was very accurate so I hope it doesn't give me any more problems.

A question I have for you folks is this: When I take the rifle apart for cleaning should I do anything to make sure this carrier doesn't get out of whack?

A cautiously optimistic first time Marlin customer,
Ike

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Nope. they are made to come apart and go together and work.. sometimes if you get a jam and force it I suppose you could knock off the timing of the carrier some.. not positive I have not had an issue with mine

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Make sure it's clean, while apart check for any thing looking out of place.

Make sure your lever does not have excess side to side movement this can cause problems also.

Bottom line, when reassembling use a quarter to tighten the screw that seems to be a good way to repeat the torque each time and still give sufficient amount to do the job.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gunjunkie and Swany,

Thanks for your replies.

Just for your information I picked up the rifle today and here is the written report from the gunsmith:

"Lever spring was trapped behind carrier letting shells under the carrier instead of on the carrier. Put lever spring and carrier in proper position. Test fired 30 rounds w/o a problem."

I won't be able to test fire it myself for a couple of days, but I'm thinking (hoping) we should be OK now.

However, I must admit I'm a bit gun-shy now about taking it apart for fear of screwing up that lever spring...

Peace,
Ike

·
Registered
462 Posts
Huh?

I'm thinking real hard about how the lever spring rides on the lever. It pushes down on the top side of the lever with considerable force.

I can't for the life of me imagine how it could end up behind the carrier.

Me thinks that description might be a little off... :D

Well... Maybe if the screw fell out and the lever spring was just flopping around in there unattached.

I guess that could happen.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fast Frank said:
Huh?

I'm thinking real hard about how the lever spring rides on the lever. It pushes down on the top side of the lever with considerable force.

I can't for the life of me imagine how it could end up behind the carrier.

Me thinks that description might be a little off... :D

Well... Maybe if the screw fell out and the lever spring was just flopping around in there unattached.

I guess that could happen.
FF,

What I quoted was what was written on the repair order. However, I did talk to the gunsmith on the phone and he indicated it looked likely it was probably not assembled correctly at the factory.

Ike

·
Premium Member
10,957 Posts
ike said:
FF,

What I quoted was what was written on the repair order. However, I did talk to the gunsmith on the phone and he indicated it looked likely it was probably not assembled correctly at the factory.

Ike

remington/Ilion Gun?

Tom

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tomray said:
remington/Ilion Gun?

Tom
Tom,

It's a new gun but still has the "JM" roll barrel mark so your guess is as good as mine. Is there anyway to tell when the rifle was produced? Maybe that would help?

Ike

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
Ike,
just give us the serial number with xx for the last few numbers. We just need the first 2 to date the gun...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Greenhorn said:
Ike,
just give us the serial number with xx for the last few numbers. We just need the first 2 to date the gun...
Greenhorn,

s/n = 97300xxx

Peace,
Ike

·
Premium Member
10,957 Posts
ike said:
Tom,

It's a new gun but still has the "JM" roll barrel mark so your guess is as good as mine. Is there anyway to tell when the rifle was produced? Maybe that would help?

Ike
Ike,

There is a spring in the pivot area of the lever, but I'd need to break one of mine down to recall the specifics of the design. I suppose it could have been mis-assembled.............I really don't know, but I assume it DID cycle correctly at first? I've found the hammer screw can become loose at times too. Make sure the carrier screw is tight also. if the cartridge cutoff feature got out of wack, due to a loose carrier screw, that could mess it up too.

The JM would indicate it was built in North Haven. Only ONE guy built 39's in North Haven......except for the rem guys he had to train....The training only lasted a week, but a weeks worth of 39's were built that week........Not tryin' to say the rem guys mis-assembled it, I reallly don't know what to say.......except your lucky to have 39 at this point in time..........who knows whats in the future for the 39.......

Tom

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tomray and stubbfarmer,

I will watch for loose screws and such as time goes on. I did break it down and put it back together then went out to the range and shot about 75 rounds through it. Not a single problem. I hope I can still say that after 2,000 rounds. Give me a month or so.

2003 you say? The guy at Scheels says it was new. Hmmm? Oh well, it is in new condition and shoots really, really well. I mean it shoots scary good!

In any case, yes, I am very happy and grateful to have this 39A. Very happy indeed.

Ike

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Only ONE guy built 39's in North Haven......
Tom
PAT HIM ON THE HEAD FOR ALL OF US AND TELL HIM "HELLUVA JOB"

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
I have to jump in with a little remark or two. There was only one man who built the 39s? Pat on the back? Plus a hug and a pitcher of the best on-tap beer available in the area, or iced-tea, or what ever he likes to drink! I had never owned a lever action Marlin until last June. Hey! This is some kinda gun. When I started hearing that Remlins were so bad, I decided to see what I could find used. I only had a couple of Stevens shotguns and don't hunt anymore; but wanted to start target shooting, plinking, etc. On June 3, I found a model 81 (no serial, no suffix or prefix) in Boise and although I feel I paid a premium for it; I DO NOT REGRET one penny that I spent. Nice, wonderful, beautiful rifle. About 7 or 8 days later I found a nice model 60 here in Mountain Home. I thought this would suffice. Wrong. Marlinitus!! I found a 39as Golden about 10 days later, dated 1990, and this is one of the most wonderful guns I've ever come across. The only lever action rifles that I had ever owned were 'Daisys'. I was so happy that I found it. THEN, all this 'shutting down' the production? I feel so sorry for the ones who have bought the Remlins and are having so much trouble getting the problems handled! We can only hope that Rem gets it together, sells it, or just closes it permanently. I haven't seen a post stating that their 39 was sent back to them in good condition. That really hurts. They sell them in bad condition; then can't even repair them properly. Well, we'll have to wait and see.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts