Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Update on 39A barrel problem/Picture of "replacement."

Recieved my NEW "replacement" 39A. Well satisfied. The gundealer from Ohio had to go through 11 in his gun vault before he found one that he told me he would buy for himself. He had to be my eye's for I live in Indiana. This was all over the phone as he looked through all 11 39A's that he had. He is just as furious/frustrated as we are concerning the quality of the Marlin's manufactured now. Some of the 11 he told me were going back to Marlin. Now to the new "replacement" 39A. I can tell you he was spot on in picking this one out for me. Not a flaw on it. Tooling is fine, the forearm/stock finishes match. It's all good. The action was a bit tight....the idiot from Marlin had turned the take down screw all the way down on the reciever. So, I took it all apart and cleaned all the grease out(yes, this one had lots of grease in it) Did a bit of tinkering with the insides of the reciever, put it all back together and now the action is smooth as silk. Now to the real test..."how did it shoot?" In my backyard range( I live out in the country) at 50 yards with a fixed 4X scope and using Winchester 40 gr. Sub-Sonics....the rifle was dialed in an shooting the center out of the bull at 50 yards. I put 100 rounds through it with no "hic-ups" or "fail to eject" problems. Alas, I really do miss my old 39A cause she was a TRUE MARLIN :-[ Concerning the JM mark on the barrrel, there is NOTHING. The barrel has the CT manufacturing stamping and the golden original stamping only. Guess the MR on the reciever tang must mean Marlin/Remington....what a shame. I'll just have to justify that I made a MISTAKE selling my MARLIN 39A some years ago and now I'm trying to right a wrong by having this one now. It's as close to my old one as it is ever going to be. In the meantime, KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY AND ONLY SHOOT ONCE!

Regards: Skinman

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Re: Update on 39A barrel problem/Picture of "replacement."

I'm wondering why the forearm on that 39A is so thick. It looks like the old "perch belly" forearms like I have on my 333 SC. I'm glad you got a shooter. I would NEVER, EVER sell my 1975 39A. It shoots 1 hole groups at 50 yards.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Who would have ever thought that as good as Marlin was, THAT WE WOULD GET BLIND SIDED. I am in FULL AGREEMENT WITH YOU. If I had a crystal ball, I would have never sold my other 39A years ago. Who would have THUNK IT?

I have two Belgium Brownings that are beautiful. Excellent in every way. An Auto 5 Light Twelve 12ga./SA-22 Field Grade 1....belonged to my father who passed some years ago. They were both bought the same year I was born, so these guns are 55 years of age and not a scar on them. Plenty of pheasants/squirrrels were taken with these guns. Would I ever part with them, in a word, NO. I WOULD NEVER BUY A BROWNING FROM JAPAN, IT'S JUST NOT THE SAME.

If I had known that Marlin would have become Marlington or whatever they want to call them, NO, I WOULD STILL HAVE MY OTHER 39A.

My only recourse is to say that they are still made in the U.S. of A.!

ONLY IF WE HAD A CRYSTAL BALL

·
Premium Member
454 Posts

Nice lookin rifle you got there. Glad he was able to find you a good one. One out of twelve aint bad ::) Wish I would have bought a 39a before the move to go with my 39m. But looks like there may be hope in the future.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Holy Smokes! 1 of 11 meeting QC of your dealer. Must be one of the dealers I visit as the Lemonington's still look like junk. Sounds about right a 10% 'passable' rate on Remington Product.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts