Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered one. You guys report Remlin will pay return shipping if pressed, and will give refunds if pressed. So I figure, all I'm really risking is a bit of time.

With a little luck I won't be posting much in this forum.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Re: Wish me luck: 1895 SBL's back in stock @ Buds.

I like your attitude... no matter what the odds are against you.... Damn the torpedoes and full steam ahead.

Yes, I hope we don't see you with problems on the Rant forum. Good luck to ya! and let us know what you think of the new gun.

R

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

And its back out of stock now. My order was accepted and shows as "Pending" I didn't think to check the stock status right after my order...

I have the SBL in my wish list so Buds is supposed to email me when it gets in stock. But I did not get an email. I still haven't.

·
Registered
161 Posts

ksJoe said:
I just ordered one. You guys report Remlin will pay return shipping if pressed, and will give refunds if pressed. So I figure, all I'm really risking is a bit of time.

With a little luck I won't be posting much in this forum.
Joe,
I got lucky I guess, got my new MR 1895 SBL that finally came in 4 weeks ago, I ordered it in Feb. I have had no issues at all and it shoots 1/2" groups at 50 yds with 405gr Black Hills Ammo. The action was a little stiff initally. I think going by my serial number WR07534B it was the 75th produced this year and was assembled on March 4th. I Was really suprised that it did not have issues after reading all of the negative postings here.
Good Luck wit your purchase !!!

Glenn

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

I thought just like you and my SBL should be back this week from New York. I hope they fixed it.

·
Registered
549 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM said:
I did too but I sent mine back for a refund.
Yup. I was rereading that one over again in the moments before clicking submit on my order.

I once sent an email to the exec's and board of directors of a major insurance company. The next morning after I went to work, my wife got a call that started with "The CEO of xxx wishes to acknowledge receipt of your letter. He has instructed me to handle it. I'll be looking into the matter and contacting you again as soon as I know more." But I really don't like having to write letters like that.

Because of you guy's reports of getting free return shipping and refunds when requested, I decided to go ahead and do it. It sounds like if there is a problem I won't have to get rude for it to be handled.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

No you won't have to get rude. Every time I have called They have been very courteous and helpful. they must be from the south cause people up here in my neck of the woods have forgotten how to act like that.
I call once a week for an update and they tell me whatever info is available to them at the time. At least they know how to handle the customers we can give them that. As far as building Marlins, not so much.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I picked it up last night.

It is a stunningly beautiful 5 foot gun. If you look up close... not so perfect.

It has two marks above the sling stud:

A minor mark above that breech screw:

It doesn't show up in the picture, but it looks like its chipped and the lamination is slightly lose there where I'm pointing:

Another attempt at showing that, it doesn't really show up in pictures:

Wood/stock fit: doubled over "Made in USA" card fits.

I think it was glue that was all over the recoil pad. I rubbed it with my thumb and it rolled up and came off.

The action was rough the first time, but quickly smoothed out. This is my first lever gun, so I asked the ffl to try it, and he thought it was normal. When I got home I put some oil on it and it is smoother yet. So I think the action is a lot better than many of you have reported.

I put a boresight in it and and I think the ghost sight is very close. I set a scope on it and it adjusted ok. So I think my barrel might even be on straight! I thought they were charging extra for that feature ;D

I knew what I was getting into ordering a remlin, and I'm content. I think I'll probably try to get them to fix a couple things. Will they mail me a new barrel band and stock, or would I have to send the whole thing in?

I know poor stock fit can cause the wood to split from the recoil, but with laminate is this a concern?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
They don't charge extra for a staight barrell you just have to send it back to them to get one. ;D I have heard from others that remington was sending a new stock to them. The only problem with that is it might not match your your forearm. Is there any way you can have the stock fitted better either by you or a local guy. it will probably come out better and you won't have to wait as long. As far as the barrell band they probably will just send another and that you could fix yourself. I sent mine in on may 26th. They tell me I'm on high priority list but it still isn't finished and they can't tell me when it will be. Oh well I just bought a never fired 1991 1895SS and it should be here in the next couple of days so I can wait.

·
Registered
278 Posts
skmarsh77 said:
Oh well I just bought a never fired 1991 1895SS and it should be here in the next couple of days so I can wait.

;)

Nice work skmarsh.

ksjoe, aside from those things you've picked up I think you got one of the better ones, yeah its got a couple of issues, but no real ugly ones, and nothing that cant be fixed! Get out there and give her a blast and report back to us, I'd love to hear that she's a great shooter. ;)

Cheers, Scott.

·
Registered
549 Posts
It looks like you lucked out, congrats! I wouldn't be surprised if that stock gap disappears the first time that you shoot it, lol. Be sure to tighten the stock screw afterwards. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MOUNTAIN WILLIAM said:
I wouldn't be surprised if that stock gap disappears the first time that you shoot it, lol.
good point. I hadn't thought of that. But the gap is more on one side than the other, so it didn't move.

I had to oil the feed tube so they wouldn't jam up in it :)

I got to shoot a few times this morning. I only had a few rounds my Dad had reloaded for his trap door. It was enough to get it on the paper, but not enough to know how good of group it will do. I know it wasn't grouping like my 6.8 (about 3/4" @ 70 yards), I may have to do some looking for accurate loads. What is considered average accuracy for this gun?

My brass order is backordered from Starline so I'll have to wait and try again. I got 50 pounds of wheel weights on the way home so when my mold shows up this week I'll be ready. It may be a while before I get out again with it, but I think I'm going to like this gun.

BTW, thanks to all the posters on here. I did a lot of reading on this site before ordering.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts