Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I told myself, my wife and my gun buddies no more guns! At least till fall after I get some summer projects are done... But today while trying to get parts for one project, my gun buddy and I stopped in a gun shop that he was never in before. Just had to show him this shop, it's a good one, lots of guns and they are out where you can pick up each one and check them out. Hand guns are in showcases though but the fella that runs the shop is very friendly and encourages you to handle any that catch your eye. What a great way to kill a couple of hours or so... after all just looking not buying! Ha! Then behind the counter I found it! A nib marlin 1897 Cowboy 22 cal! Never saw one before. Cool gun! Has box, papers and he said never been fired. The tag said $689.00. Well as I said I'm not buying... or should I?

·
Banned
3,028 Posts
Re: What would you do?

Heres what you do , you strap yer hard hat on good and tight as you are about to fall off the wagon my friend! ;) ;D Thats a darn good price ! Set on it for awhile or enjoy it as they dont grow on trees NIB.

Congrats! Kerr :)

·
Registered
25,048 Posts

You most likely won't find another one that condition that easy

·
Registered
124 Posts

I think the biggest issue for me would be the fact that the gun is NIB.

If I bought it, would I shoot it? If I bought it and didn't shoot it, what the heck would I do with it?

A new 39 is $550. So,the premium your being ask to spend on Hexagon, limited edition rifle is 130 bucks.

If I'm not mistaken, that's a better price than MSRP when the gun was new. At least, the couple I saw when they were available were more expensive than that.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts

I never saw that model before in a 22LR caliber to the best of my memory. It sounds pretty cool! :)

Do what you want to do when it comes to your guns.

If you like it and would shoot it MORE than some other gun that you don't shoot much... buy it. A firearm in 22LR is easy to feed. :)

Maybe you can sell something that you do not like as much or shoot much anymore.

I gave MM my Marlin 336C in 30-30 (Another thread/another section.) because I shoot 22LR firearms 95% or more due to my hand issues. Maybe he can shoot that 30-30 on Easter because he ended up going to a friend's ranch with his buddy to get rid of some gophers so the cattle don't break their legs on Monday. He had to work a bunch of extra hours/days and his schedule was even crazier this month.

If I end up getting an extra 22LR rifle, I may go to a HENRY but I still have not made up my mind yet! I am too busy with building the house now.

Best wishes to you on whatever you decide. Can you do some research on this interesting MARLIN online or on THIS M.O. forum?

Catherine

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Re: What would you do? 1897 Cowboy

Hey, I bought a NIB 1897 TEXAN a few years back. It is a similar version to the Cowboy, but with a 20" barrel.

Been shooting it ever since. Paid about $650.00 for mine, which is a 2004 mfg., if I remember correctly. Recently I replaced the Extractor with a Wisners and before that drilled and tapped for a Williams receiver sight and replaced the front sight with a firesight.

Looks and shoots great. That I D&T? If I didn't tell you it was me, you'd think the factory did it! The improvement with the Williams receiver sight and firesight front is such, that it is one of my few rifles without a scope. (Old eyes, you know...)

So, buy it and shoot it.

Luisyamaha

·
Premium Member
750 Posts

How old is that NIB .22? If it's actually older and just been sitting around, go for it, cause you'll be hard pressed to find another one. Check that serial number out here.
Good luck!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I think its a 1996. The shop owner said he got out of someones collection.

·
Administrator
23,807 Posts

Call if it's there have him hold it until you get down there. I would be all over that if it was near me.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts

I don't think that there were many of them made. It wasn't a limited production or anything like that, but they seem very scarse. I remember reading a few posts from others that own one and they say the rifle is a tack driver and really fun to shoot.

-Bob George

·
Premium Member
455 Posts

Bruiser said:
I don't think that there were many of them made. It wasn't a limited production or anything like that, but they seem very scarse. I remember reading a few posts from others that own one and they say the rifle is a tack driver and really fun to shoot.

-Bob George
It was a limited production rifle, from 1999-2001. Less than 5,000 made. It was basically nothing more than a 39A, with an octagon barrel substituted for the round one, and straight lower tang so a straight stock could be added.......just a cosmetic variant albeit a pretty cool looking one.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

It was a limited production rifle, from 1999-2001.

The dealer must be mistaken. He told me it was a 1996 model. I'll take another look at it saturday.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Buy it. I just bought one box and all gave 700 for it and walked out the door a very happy man. I had another gave 680 for it my son now has it. Their hard to find.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts

I know there were not many made, but it was a regular cataloged item wasn't it? I didn't think the production was limited to 500 or 1,000 such as a 1895 LTDIII.

Still, very desirable though based on the low production.

-Bob George

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts

Those that have em' tend to hang onto them. It took me a few years to find one I could afford and that was just plain good luck.

It has become a favorite of mine. I sure like walking around with it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Well I was hoping to get to the gun shop for another look this morning,but I have to work instead. My wife is going to go have a look and make a offer. We'll see how she does. After all the responses ( and thanks so much for those ) I'm hoping its still there!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Just got off work. Well she did great! How bout $600.00 otd! She says no marks on it at all. and its a 2000 model. Well I won't get to see it till tomorrow afternoon as I got to work back home. So much for the summer projects.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts

GREAT deal!

I like mine so much I'll use any excuse I can to shoot it. Today I left the scoped CZ at home to "compete" in the Long Range match with the Cowboy. Definitely a disadvantage but WAY more fun.

·
Registered
832 Posts

Was looking through my catalogs for a different thread so I looked and the Cowboy was only in the catalog 3 years 1999-2001.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: **UPDATE with pics** What would you do? 1897 Cowboy

Hello, I just got out of bed, I worked last night coming home. I thought I would share some pics of my new 1897 Cowboy. This gun is awsome. It looks as though it has been stored all along with out any oil rubbed on it. Other than that super great shape. I also posted it with a pic of my 1960 golden mountie,(with a new Skinner sight) to compare the two. Thanks for the info and encouragement to buy this new gun. I got to tell you I was wanting it pretty bad. I should have bought it when I first saw it but I was trying to not buy any more guns for a while. Cost me (my wife) a extra 50 bucks or so in gas to drive back to the gun store. I'm not so sure I would have gotten as good of deal as my wife did. Ok now back to the original plan NO MORE GUNS TILL....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts