Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening everybody, I just wanted to share a few photos of this old 44 sporting a couple new pieces. After a lot of research I decided on a Skinner Express receiver sight. I know others are easier to adjust, but I liked the simple design, the fact it is steel not aluminum, and how it complimented the receiver. I also replaced the barrel sight with one of their plugs that can hold the extra aperture I ordered (which I think is really handy).

I have to admit to very little gunsmithing experience, so i had to pick up a set of punches and screwdrivers and learn how to drift these properly. I hadn't field stripped it yet, so I did that and removed the buttstock- finding the metal there definitely needed a good cleaning. I do need to completely disassemble it at some point, because the loading gate somehow got a little lip of metal raised at some point and I need to file it down.

Sadly, I've been kept away from the range, but I need to get it out to see if the front sight will need to go. If you've seen my other post, I've been concerned about the sight because inside the bore there are small indentations matching the screws. Tonight I got concerned again when I found the sight ramp was loose. I finally got the hood off, and removed the sight ramp. It looks like the rear screw had just worked loose, and everything tightened down alright. I didn't put loc tight on in case I need to do any more work on that end.
Wood Sleeve Flooring Floor Hardwood

Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel Revolver

Musical instrument accessory Musical instrument Bumper Trigger Gun accessory

Bicycle part Wood Trigger Rim Gas

Brown Wood Beige Automotive exterior Luggage and bags

Registered
Looks great 馃憤

I just ordered up a Skinner peep and basic dovetail blank for one of my Marlins. Can hardly wait for the mail on Tuesday.

Registered
Looks good. I'm curious to know if you have to replace the front sight also. I'd like to get one for my 1894. I have a scope on it now that I need for something else.

Registered
I like the Skinner sights also, not sure why but a couple of them I have had to replace the front sight with something taller. You have to shot it to find out.

Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the Skinner sights also, not sure why but a couple of them I have had to replace the front sight with something taller. You have to shot it to find out.

Good luck.
Yeah, I initially wanted to keep the hood and bead in front, but since this could be used for hog hunting in the brush, I may need something more visible anyway. I've looked at some of Skinner's blade sights and also considered a fiber optic. Any personal experience/opinions from anyone who's used irons in low light?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts