Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having good success on Ruffed and Sharptailed grouse with Winchester .22 lr Dyna-points from Wally. The longest shot was 50 yds, and the shortest was about 20. Been making mostly neck shots with it. The 50 yarder was a sharptail. I aimed for his head and caught the neck just above the collar bones- the dyna-points have a few "off" rounds that drop about an inch. All birds were taken with one shot. Not much meat damage with them- they don't expand a whole lot.

Took Mrs. out with me second last time out and forgot my rifle- I ended up using hers. I had the rifle slung over my shoulder, and that sling cost me a rabbit- by the time I got un-slung and lined up, he was already making post haste. My own slingless rifle would have been where it belongs- in my hands.... I followed him into the thick stuff, and would have had a shot except for the stupid T.V. view scope on her rifle- I couldn't find a white bunny in it against a snowless back ground... life's like that sometimes. I gotta get her a light weight bright scope good for dusk and early morning when most of our game is taken...

Found a huge beautiful buck on the side of a municipal road- at least a 10 pointer if my scoring is right- there was a .45 cal hole in the guts and his behind was blown off. I can't quite make sense of someone doing this- if you're gonna shoot a deer like this, don't waste it. It bugs me big time that the animal was left for the ravens...

I've been staying out late- making a fire and hobo coffee and beanie weenie- sometimes till midnight- just keeping the fire going,drinking coffee, and watching the sky- breathtakingly bright Aurora Borealis on Nov. 12th- I wish I could live like this year round!

Just a near end of season report- don't mean to ramble so...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

G

·
Doc,

Do you realize that your "rambling on" get most of us jealous? I would love to sit around a fire watching the northern lights, drinking coffee, feeling the chill at my back, but will probably never have the opportunity. Thanks for sharing your memories with us.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Ditto, saw the "Lights only once but I'll never forget them. I was about six, Dad woke me up so I could see them...sure do miss him.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah and Yeah guys- some 40 odd years ago Dad took me for a little rainbow fishing, and woke me up for the Northern Lights. It was also my first coffee experience- a simple enamel pot with a hand full of grind coffee thrown into it. His way was black and it is what I love- never mind ulcers in that situation. What I make over the fire is the same thing. More than a few tugs of the old memory and heart strings on the night of the 12th.. :wink:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

1 - 4 of 4 Posts