Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oops its the "GBL". If you followed my previous thread I sent back the 1st new gun they sent due to the extremely poorly fitted stock. Davidson's promised to open several until they found a better one. That is what they did as evidenced by the extra tape on the box and the overall fit. I couldn't wait to test her out with the VXR-Hog scope and my first Lasercast bullets. I was previously using Rucker HC 405's (good bullets) but I had severe leading @.458 diameter. The reviews were very good on these LC's @.459. I was sitting at the bench with the barrel resting on sand bags. My final 5 rounds:

I did have some leading, which I expected, even though LC warrants none. It did not seem as bad but did take a fair amount of cleaning. The only issue I had was the hammer spur fell to the ground.

Notes: the action is smooth and the loading gate did not pinch my finger.

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Hey K,

Glad this is working out for you.

Your rifle seems to like that load!

All new barrels will exhibit some tendency to fouling. A bit of cleaning, and the correct sized cast bullet, and life will be good.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. This is my hog build. Have not gotten the first shot at one yet but I had a dream last night. I was walking in 3' brush when a hog started moving in front of me from my left to right. The VXR was tracking then boom..piggie down. Hopefully it won't be long.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Glad you've finally got the rifle you should have had the first time! Looks like a great shooter too. I wonder how many Davidson's had to go through to find a good one and what did they do with the ones that failed to cut the mustard.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Good looking target there kwesi i think that 1895 will do a fine job on that porker.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad you've finally got the rifle you should have had the first time! Looks like a great shooter too. I wonder how many Davidson's had to go through to find a good one and what did they do with the ones that failed to cut the mustard.
They said they would open 3-4 or until they found a good one. I was surprised to find they are well aware of the QC issues & that they weren't receiving any preferential treatment. My guess is the poor quality ones go back in the box to be shipped as usual.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I believe Davidsons sends the bad guns back to the factory.
They lose money if they ship a known bad gun back and forth
on their dime.
Cheaper to send it back to the factory.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Glad you got a better one! :congrats:It sure shoots well! :top:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Looks good and accurracy very good, I am thinking they may be using the super accurate Green Mountain barrels today. A big improvement in marlin accuracy.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Good looking rifle and some good looking shooting. Those new ones have ballard rifleing dont they? Ive heard the newer runs with some new machinery are a better rifle, from remington. Also glad you got satisfaction. Great dream as well. Can I go on the next dream. I aint got to shoot nothing with my 45-70 either. I really like them GBL s

Reactions: kwesi

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
K, glad things finally worked out. Looks to me as if the Marlin will do its job as long as you do yours, as my wife says,''Cool Beans.'' Me thinks the hogs in your neighborhood are in for some very bad news, courtsey of the Marlin and you, take some out for me . I don't have any my neck of the woods, they are still staying down in south Mo. but they are slowly coming north, when they show up my H&R 45-70 will be hog hunting. Take care, keep us in the loop, John.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe Davidsons sends the bad guns back to the factory.
They lose money if they ship a known bad gun back and forth
on their dime.
Cheaper to send it back to the factory.
I think it comes down to what each individual defines "bad" as it relates to fit and finish.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think most gun owners would not want a gun that was not up to factory specs.
Lever not working, loading gate not working, wood not fitting, sights on the
side of the barrel etc...
Davidsons pays a lot to ship the guns back and forth. They are losing money
if they keep paying to ship them all over and then back to the factory then
send out another.
Remington will take back the defective guns and either toss them or rework
them I don't know which.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Congrats!! Make sure you post pics of your piggies!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts