Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to follow up on this thread where I posted the results of my first range session with my new to me '98 336CS.

Went to the range this afternoon and on the advice of some helpful members here, adjusted a few little things about my shooting and was able to improve my groups compared to last time. Last time my 5 shot, 100 yard groups with the factory buckhorns averaged right at 4.5" CTC. This time I had to fiddle with the rear sight to get the elevation where I wanted it and split my time with another rifle and only got off two 5 round groups this time with the Marlin. This time, instead of using a 6 o'clock hold I held the bead directly over the target. Also I used some black shoot-n-c targets instead of the orange bulls like last time - contrast was much improved and I was able to see the targets much better. Here are the groups from today, first one is with 150gr Winchester SuperX (2.75" CTC) and the second group is with 170gr Remington Core-Lokt (just under 2" CTC):

Target archery Shooting sport Recreation Shooting Individual sports
Target archery Shooting sport Shooting Recreation Individual sports

I think my next move will be to put a scope on it to really figure out the rifle's best accuracy and favorite factory loads as well as do some load testing of my own. Once I get a good accurate load nailed down I'll switch to Skinner peeps for quick target acquisition in the field. Should be ready for hogs this summer and deer this fall.

Thanks to all those who offered advice in my previous thread, it obviously helped. I'll have to say I'm pretty pleased with 2-3" groups with the factory irons.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Those black targets showed up a lot better, didn't they?

That's great shooting! Looks like the 170 grain bullets shot the best for you.

It is a very good idea to use a scope to work up your best loads, so you'll know your rifle's potential with that particular load when going back to irons.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I got a 1976 336 and she likes the 170 gr, remingtons. Im planning on working up some of my own loads. Got a mold. and the dies. Just got to melt some lead.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Very nice!!! I believe you ready to fill the freezer now!!!

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Nice shooting with iron sights! :congrats:

·
Registered
673 Posts
This time, instead of using a 6 o'clock hold I held the bead directly over the target.
You might try a fine Ivory bead. I have four lever actions set up for hunting with Peep sights. I have eventually gone to the fine Ivory bead as it is the most precise and blocks out much less of the sight picture. You will get a lot of arguments for both beads and post front sights. Much of it depends upon how good your eyes are. If your eyes are young, won't matter much. If older the fine bead will help a lot.

Reactions: IMR and preacher

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Like Gladesman, I like a fine ( 1/16 flat gold bead) bead with a peep. But really, 2" at 100 yds with factory irons is fantastic accuracy. Here's why ( among other factors of course) according to the late Jack O'Conners writings ( which I have proved to myself and by observation of others); the human eye's ability to focus/see and shoot an accurate rifle/load usually( at times I have beat this, but this is the norm) goes this way- iron sights= 4" @100; receiver sights= 2" @100; scope = 1" or less. Now any carbine of any caliber that shoots into 2" @ 100 is a very accurate rifle indeed! You are " in the berries" so to speak, ha. I hunted in my young life with rifles that would not shoot into 4-6" at 100, but I killed all my game under 60 yds 99% of the time, ha. You are doing swell my friend, and a good scope will just add to it.

Reactions: IMR
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.