Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be heading to Alaska in mid-May for a brown bear hunt and would appreciate any advice anybody has.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
With whom, how and where?

You will never do wrong to be in decent shape. Some outfits require some kind of personal vehicle to cover the expanses; a snowmachine or ATV often. If you're not familiar with that, you may not realize it can be a decent workout - some can't manage even that! And huffing and puffing during a stalk is kind of counterproductive too as you can imagine! Getting in shape is a good first step.

Second, shooting well, shooting quickly (without fiddling with every gadget you can think of: scope covers, shooting aids, etc), and shooting decently, are all going to be an advantage. Get off the bench if you haven't already. The best rest you'll get is a rolled up jacket or something like that so practice that way some but also without a rest - a lot more.......from a variety of positions.

Those are probably the main things to consider at this point.....and make sure you have adequate footwear and it's well broken in or, at least, your feet are comfortable with them.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be going with my brother who lives in Anchorage. My father is going with us, but he'll probably hang out in camp most of the time.

My brother has the place picked out, where exactly it is I'm not sure, but some of the guys he works with say they have seen some success in the area. Getting ourselves and gear there shouldn't be a problem since my bother has one of them eight wheeled amphibious thingies.

I have been doing a lot of hiking and jogging locally to help prepare. With each hike I try to increase both the incline/elevation gain as well as the distance.

I'm set for gear, anything I don't have, my brother does.

I'll by using my CZ 550 chambered in .458 Lott. I've read about alot of guys using .30 cal's, but I've also read about alot of good shots with a .375 H&H and the bear running off.

Our basic strategy will be to reach a few good vantage points from day to day and watching quietly through binoculars. I'll be happy just to see one, even if we don't get a chance at a shot.

·
Registered
485 Posts
good luck & dont forget to take pictures to share with us :) along with the story, mike243

1 - 4 of 4 Posts