Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the scarcity of powder all I have on hand is H4895 and Unique powder. I have seen that quite a few people on here shoot Unique and I wanted to know if you all are using a filler material in the case? I have several pounds of Unique and I just want to utilize it in the best way possible. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Unique/Universal Clays

Hey Parker,

No filler req'd.

Look here Lever Gun Performance Studies

I use Universal Clays, and HS 6 (because I have a bunch). Most guys use about 13 to 14 grains of Unique (in the 45/70), under either the 350 gr or 405 (to 420) gr cast bullets.

With 13.7 gr of Universal Clays, with a 405 gr LFP, am obtaining 4-1/2" groups with my CB...........at 200 yds, using a Skinner Express rear sight.

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I didn't really want to mess with it if I didn't need to. I didn't know if it was position sensitive or not with such a small charge in a big case. I'm casting 405's so hopefully I'll have some success with it.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Be careful and you'll do fine.
I use 15 grains unique in 45/70.
In a 30/30 with cast bullets unique has been used with success, but I don't recall my load

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
I use Lever Gun Studies info for target loads in my 45-70 CB. I wouldn't be afraid to use them on a deer under 100 yards. With a 405RNFP it's a slow moving freight train.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I've always got to be the odd-ball in the group I guess, but Unique is the least accurate powder when shot in my rifles. Very disappointing, too, when everyone else claims it's the "go to" powder above all others.

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
I've always got to be the odd-ball in the group I guess, but Unique is the least accurate powder when shot in my rifles. Very disappointing, too, when everyone else claims it's the "go to" powder above all others.
Not sure that Unique is the most accurate powder for everyone. It is probably one of the most popular but much of that is due to it's "uniquely universal" qualities. It gives great accuracy and acceptable accuracy but not always the most accurate. It does a lot of things really well for a whole slew of calibers. That's why it is Unique.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
That's what I'm told.................just hasn't worked that way for me.

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
That's what I'm told.................just hasn't worked that way for me.
Some have said you are a little different........:flute:

·
Registered
261 Posts
I just got some "overpowder wads". They fit the 45-70 case tight enough that they would keep a light load of powder next to the primer. Have any of you used these and what were your results? I haven't used them yet, I got them to try some "forager" rounds of 71/2 shot.

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
I just got some "overpowder wads". They fit the 45-70 case tight enough that they would keep a light load of powder next to the primer. Have any of you used these and what were your results? I haven't used them yet, I got them to try some "forager" rounds of 71/2 shot.
Never experienced anyone telling about having done that. I would tread cautiously until a reputable handloader with loads of experience with it gives a positive report. Over powder wads are condemned by some to begin with. The additional resistance of the shot that close to the powder, without an air space, might be risky. Just can't say.

·
Super Moderator
12,614 Posts
Usually those are used when the powder volume is low and can move away from the primer flamefront causing inconsistent combustion.
That's why some folks simply raise the forearm and lower it so the powder is sitting similar for each shot. Most folks just use a wad of Dacron pillow stuffing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.