Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas, I bought some unique and am going to find the right load for my guide gun. I am starting between 13 and 13.5 grains. It will be under a 405 grain pill. My question is will this be a suitable hunting round for whitetail deer and possibly Ontario moose? I dont have any toothy critters trying to eat me while hunting so defense isn't in question. Right now I have good luck with 44 grains of H4895 but my scope/peep settings will vary and I just want to keep one good load. If its to light for moose that's fine I will stick with my H4895 load. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks packard. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to the beartooth bullets calculator the thornily stopping power is 125 at 1100fps which according to the chart is enough for moose under all conditions. Would like to hear from some of you guys that have used a similar load and what kind of results you had. The last thing I want to do is unhumanly harvest an animal because I was loaded to light.

·
Registered
289 Posts

14 grains of Unique under a 405 cast (hard cast) will take anything in North America. I will make a complete pass thru on 2 moose.... if you could get them to stand side by side. That is the most accurate load in my 45-70.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet. Thats what I wanted to hear. I just dont like having to dink around changing my sight settings. I want to be able to have a go to round and leave my sights alone. The unique seems to be very popular, and a pound will go a lot farther than my 44 grains of H4895. So if it has the umpf then I think it's win win.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The other nice thing is recoil will be light at this velocity.:biggrin: It gets down right mean if you push that 400 grain bullet over 1500 fps.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya my other load lets you know you pulled the trigger on a big boy gun. But that's fun all on its own as well.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there J82 -- Here's a test I ran awhile back. Make your shot and the load should do the rest...

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks wind. I hoped you would throw your two cents in. Seems when it comes to unique you are one of the ones to ask.

·
Super Moderator
12,056 Posts
Sweet. Thats what I wanted to hear. I just dont like having to dink around changing my sight settings. I want to be able to have a go to round and leave my sights alone. The unique seems to be very popular, and a pound will go a lot farther than my 44 grains of H4895. So if it has the umpf then I think it's win win.
All you have to do is match velocities between your different loads.
IOW a 300 gr cast will hit same POI as a 520 gr boolit given their velocities are identical and these are at 45/70 ranges.
To put it bluntly gravity operates on all of them equally. To paraphrase Elmer Keith "there ain't no such thing as ballistics in a lever gun".
Of course this is with period guns - the BLR's weren't around in his time. ;)

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
jesse82.... Just remember that in all the comments above, the striking velocity is 1100-1200 fps. The bullet can't start at that speed since it slows down immediately upon leaving the gun. In order to be traveling about 1150 fps at 100 yards that 405 gr boolit has to be launched from the gun at something around 1400 fps.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good point. Thanks doc mike.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Wind,

Looks like a great big game round, but isn't it bit dangerous tying a live cow to a backhoe?:flute:

BB

1 - 15 of 15 Posts