Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been of the opinion that when a cartridge case has been fired in a gun, before I size the case, I should be able to insert an unfired bullet into the case with ease. This has always been my procedure when reloading to make sure the case releases the bullet normally upon firing.

The problem, you ask? My marlin 1895 in 45/70, will not allow this to happen. I always measure case length, and trim to spec. This seems to happen to all cases (Winchester & Remington Peters) I use. The load is 49 gr. of Re-7 and a Remington or Speer 400-405 gr bullet. It also seems to be happening with the Hornady 300 gr hp (47 gr IMR 4198), and the Hornady 350 gr flat nose (44 gr IMR 4198).

Do you guys have similar results after firing? What do you think of the test itself? Is it my particular gun?

·
Registered
154 Posts
dodgeStdShift -

Wouldn't this depend on the "looseness" of the chamber? A competition chamber (ie, cut 2 thou larger than sized cartridge size) I would expect to leave the brass still way too tight to finger insert a new bullet... conversely, some of the older mass produced chambers (cut 15 thou oversize and worn since), yes, I would expect to be able to *drop* the bullet through the fired unsized case neck (have a m96 6.5 swede which does this). I guess I would be grateful for Marlin's tighter chambers... no? BTW our 4570 1895 also produces cases where I can not finger reinsert another bullet (win brass, target or fullhouse loads).

do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

·
Registered
957 Posts
Thanks, Gmushial !

I have a Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag that has been giving me fits. I have good hunting loads for it, but I rarely hunt, and what I really needed was an accurate cheap plinking round. The rifle was markedly uncooperative. Half a dozen different cast PB bullets and as many powders kept giving results from poor to terrible. This is rather odd since the rifle shoots quite well with hard cast GC bullets and full house loads.

Your website shooting tests gave me the answer. You show 10 grains of HS-7 under a 240 grain bullet as giving excellent accuracy at acceptable velocity. I have two jugs of WC 820(f) which is roughly equivalent to HS-7, but the closest gang mould I have is the Lee 429-255-SWC.

Tried the 10 grain load anyway and got a nice cluster with fliers. Went down a bit and lost the cluster. Went up a bit, and, bingo, 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards. Perfect for my needs.

·
Registered
158 Posts
That is a problem. A chamber that is used for hunting guns should let the case mouth expand enough to get a bullet to go in easily after firing. My Marlin MR passes this test along with a Win 70, Rems 700 and 760. Target guns do have tight chambers, but the case mouth gets reamed to get the needed inside diameter. The chambering reamer used on your gun may have been at the end of its life. You can get a chamber cast made by a gunsmith to see what the chamber measurements are. Or contact the manufacturer.

·
Registered
158 Posts
That is a problem. A chamber that is used for hunting guns should let the case mouth expand enough to get a bullet to go in easily after firing. My Marlin MR passes this test along with a Win 70, Rems 700 and 760. Target guns do have tight chambers, but the case mouth gets reamed to get the needed inside diameter. The chambering reamer used on your gun may have been at the end of its life. You can get a chamber cast made by a gunsmith to see what the chamber measurements are. Or contact the manufacturer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts