Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out if this 1968 444 has been fired or not. It is in good shape, except for the receiver screws are missing. The man i got it from said he did not shoot it. I bought it at an estate auction about a month ago. What are your thoughts? The original box came with it.

Gun Shotgun Shooting sport Wood Recreation
Rim
Firearm Gun Trigger Shotgun Revolver
Product Wood Table Furniture Wood stain
Rim Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle door Vehicle

·
Registered
325 Posts
It looks like it's been at least loaded, although not very much at all, there's some slight wear in the blueing on the inner edge of the loading gate.

·
Super Moderator
13,983 Posts
Hard to say odds are the person that bought it shot a couple of rounds through it. If bought at an estate sale the original buyer and owner would not be close by or even alive many times. All that said it is no big deal as it is going to bring the money for condition of the rifle and what it is.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Some rifles get scopes mounted and never fired, that could account for the missing receiver screws. Have to agree with MJAJohnson on the wear point. Is awful clean, would take the man at his word.

Reactions: MJAJohnson

·
Registered
206 Posts
Either way, a very nice rifle. Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
You can be sure it was fired at the factory as part of their quality control effort. Probably not more than a box or two after it was sold. It seems like a fine gun.

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
If you bought it to shoot it, replace the missing screws, clean it, then take it to the range.

End of issue.

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
13,306 Posts
It's close enough that you can't tell. Nice rifle and great find.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
It woulda been shot Already if I had bought it! Than I wouldn't have had to guess if it was or not!

Chute'em!!! :)

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
It aint gunna matter if its been shot or not once you start poking them down the tube :biggrin:. as for the missing screws, scope it and problem solved. Enjoy ya NEW 444.

GUS

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
It doesn't matter if it was shot or not if there are rub marks on the sides of the hammer (indicating that the action has been worked a bit) and or there are any marks on the loading gate indicating that it has been loaded. If it has any of these marks or signs of use in the action, a collector will consider it as fired. Therefor, if you are not a collector, than do with it what you bought it for and what it was made for-------SHOOT and ENJOY it!!!!

Jack

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I agree with COYOTE222 load her up and enjoy shootin it. Nice looking rifle, its made to shoot not to be a safe Queen. Although right now you probably sell it more than you paid for it as everyone wants one except a couple of not named 45-70 owners.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
It's been loaded and cycled for at least 20-50 rounds. So, it has probably been fired, too.

Can you get a good picture of the bolt face and muzzle?

·
Registered
661 Posts
It woulda been shot Already if I had bought it! Than I wouldn't have had to guess if it was or not!

Chute'em!!! :) LOL, I hear you brother. A friend of mine bought a colt peacemaker some years ago and it set in his house for years in that box, never even cocked it much less actually fired it. I took him shooting one day and I was blazing away with my two peacemakers slinging .45 slugs fast as I could work the hammers, one in each hand. He said I'll e back in a minute, got in his truck and soon returned with that nickel plated closet queen. We stuffed it full of lead flatnose and broke that baby in. LOL. I asked him why he decided to finally shoot it and he said I was having way too much fun and he couldn't stand it no more.

·
Registered
492 Posts
It is in incredible condition but very hard to certify unfired condition. It would be LNIB condition to me. It has never been hunted or used much and maybe not at all, hard to prove. I consider unfired as never cleaned and wrapped from factory with the tags and stickers, and manuals and purchase paperwork in a pristine box. I might be a bit off on this but I think 444 Marlins aren't a great deal more valuable when confirmed as NIB as some others are. This rifle is very valuable because of its condition. Like most folks here I would have already ruined that!

The rifles I treasure are the banged up well used ones that resemble there owner. No stories no value I guess. I certainly understand the appeal of collecting and buying guns as investment but the pass time never took hold with me.

Reactions: Rory McCanuck

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
If you can't say for sure it is unfired then you sure can't use that as a selling point. LNIB ain't bad.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.