Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas, I was wondering if some of you could contribute your opinions on the 44 mag. levergun for big or even dangerous game. I've played with 45 colt rugers for a few years and have read numerous articles from well renouned writers on it's capabilities, one author wrote "A 300 grain hardcast .45 caliber bullet travelling at 1300fps will penetrate a cape buffalo from stem to stern." A 44 mag from a levergun will do a hell of a lot more than that and yet it's dubbed as a "short range deer cartridge." What gives? Even in reloading manuals, look up 44 mag, rifle section it's good for deer and black bear but flip over to handguns and all of a sudden it's an elk slash "and other big game cartridge."

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Well, to kick this thing off, drive a lead foreign object through the vital organs of a critter at a reasonable velocity and you'll have a dead critter, even if it's actual diameter is .429".

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Redhammer...

May be it's stems from the type of hunting the hunter tends to do with the firearm. Pistol hunters, or at least those shooting the revolver cartridges, tend to be "up close" hunters like a bowhunter. I've had pistol hunters out here and they all want to shoot up close, 35-yards or so. Put a long barrel on the arm and shooters want to extend the range. Granted, the difference in barrel lengths accounts for some increase in performance but most hunters couldn't tell you when 100-yards becomes 150.

I have a Marlin 336-44 that was made in the sixties before the cartridge and 1894 were introduced. I love the little rifle. I shot a 200# hog with it this week right at 100-yards. The Beartooth 290-grain LFNGC dropped it like a brick!

Earlier this year, I read an account about this rifle. It kind of left me with a strange, bad taste for this gun. The book was about a Texas Ranger that served his career in the Texas Big Bend during my lifetime. He was the Ranger assigned to investigate a shooting that took place on the Rio Grande River in the Big Bend National Park. A couple of Mexican punks high on dope started hulling out some rafters hitting all three and killing one. The killing shot was delivered with the 336-44 at a measured distance of over 300-yards (it was precisely measured for the case but I've forgotten the exact distance). Anyway, that's the dark side of what these firearms are capable of in practiced hands. What was strange was how it effected my feelings about this very firearm.

·
Registered
62 Posts
IMHO the .44Mag is a formidable cartridge similar to the .30-30 however the trajectory of the two are remarkably different. The slower .44Mag with a 240 grain bullet drops significantly more than the .30-30 with a 150 grain bullet.

Jim H

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
The 44mag in a rifle is still a 44mag, it does extend its range a little and its a very big over achiever, add Hardcast bullets and it does way more then paper will tell, as for 300yard shoots, the 44-40 was used at long range many times, while not the best it served the purpose.

I can't think of a better combo to have a 44Mag rifle and pistol...Marko

·
Registered
363 Posts
"I can't think of a better combo to have a 44Mag rifle and pistol...Marko"

I can. A Marlin 1894S .41 Mag. & S&W 57 .41 Mag. revolver! :lol: :lol:

L.W.

G

·
Ranch Dog said:
Earlier this year, I read an account about this rifle. It kind of left me with a strange, bad taste for this gun. The book was about a Texas Ranger that served his career in the Texas Big Bend during my lifetime. He was the Ranger assigned to investigate a shooting that took place on the Rio Grande River in the Big Bend National Park. A couple of Mexican punks high on dope started hulling out some rafters hitting all three and killing one. The killing shot was delivered with the 336-44 at a measured distance of over 300-yards (it was precisely measured for the case but I've forgotten the exact distance). Anyway, that's the dark side of what these firearms are capable of in practiced hands. What was strange was how it effected my feelings about this very firearm.
RD;

I believe that would be one of the better documented exploits of Ranger Joaquin Jackson...

:)

·
Banned
749 Posts
I shot a doe this year with my 44mag 1894 at 10yds with a hornady 300gr XTP with H-110.The shot took out the heart and the deer still ran 40yds,I had no exit wound.I thought for sure it would of gone right thru.Is it the HP that stopped it from exiting?

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
HP's will hinder penetration, I have shot many deer with a 290gr hardcast
in a 44mag rifle and have never recovered a bullet........................Marko

·
Registered
58 Posts
I shot my doe with my 1894 and a 250 grain Platinum Tip at 40 yards. The bullet took out the left shoulder, shredded the lungs and gave me about an inch exit hole. She ran 50 yards, but left a blood trail that anyone could follow. I love it.

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
If you go the 240 look at the speer Gold Dot, great accuracy and we have gotten many pass throughs..............................................Marko

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have been useing the 1894 in .44 Mag since the mid seventies, 1974 I think. I have found that bullets in the 240 grn and up range work best and either hard cast or soft points. Close up shots with a hollow point do not exit soft points will about 50% of the time depending on range I try to limit my shots with the 1894 to less than 150 yards, but I generally use this rifle in very heavy brush so that is not usually a problem. I use a 30 for open country, My 45-70 is sort of a combination gun I wouldn't hesitate to take a 300 + yard shot with it provided i had a good rest but over 200 I would prefer a 30-06.
Just my opinion

·
Registered
23 Posts
underpowered .44 mag

RedHammer
These professional gun writers are often considered experts. In truth, they are generally just shooters with an openion. Anyone can talk about how good a round is. I would much prefer to trust hunters who talk from real experience and can prove their talk with reliable witnesses or photographs. I have found, I can miss with anything. If what you shoot is legal, practice with it and go hunting. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Yep.. most gun rag writers will still say the 30-30 is not a good round either.. that you need to spend a grand and get the newest, shortest, fastest, magnum boat tail , shoot into the next county rifle to hunt whitetail and take them under 100 yds.. ..

I feel that a good hunter and good shot is much more valuable in the field than what caliber he is using.. If you know your limits and the guns .. you can and will put meat in the freezer everytime..
From a 22lr. to 50 bmg.... Its the Indian not the arrow..as TTG would say..

·
Registered
89 Posts
I haven't hunted with our 44MAG carbine for many years. But I found the .430 diameter bullets by Hornady were most accurate. Their 200 and 240 grain XTP bullets are quite lethal. These bullets open up fast and make big holes in deer!
Jack

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
I like to shoot a lot, and I've been using Remington's 240-SP for years, I buy them in bulk thru Midway and shoot thousands of them a year. And nothing smaller than an elk is gonna stop that bullet. Cheap, accurate, and deadly is a nice combination!

PJ

1 - 20 of 21 Posts