Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just stepped into a LGS and they have an 1894 .357 1980 sitting behind the counter and not out on the rack yet. The asking price is $499.

The reason I didn't purchase it immediately, other than I cant really afford it, is that it has some issues.

The stock has a small broken piece at the butt end which probably happened when whoever had it put the screw on recoil pad on so the buttplate and spacer is gone also. There's some bluing wear and it has been well used. It had a scope on it at some point and the screw plugs for the holes are missing.

I'm undecided, $499 feels a bit high for condition but its still a pre-safety .357. I could put it on layaway 20% down 90 days to pay but I probably couldn't make them a lower offer if I do that.

I'm sure it won't last long at that price once it hits the rack as the 336A .32 special they had for $550 a week and a half ago in worse condition is gone, as is the 444s that they had for $750. I probably have to decide by 3pm.

I went into the LGS looking to see if they had something for my kid who suddenly decided they wanted to join the FFA trap team this week and now I'm looking to get myself in trouble.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't see any pics of your new rifle yet??:dontknow:
I'm sorry man....... But that's a smoking deal. To find a true Marlin 1894 in 357mag with MINOR issue for $500 is unheard of.
Sorry no Pics, it's still at the shop...on Layaway with my name on it. I'm getting it, it's just going to take a little longer.

I offered $450 cash out the door but they wouldn't take that so I put it on layaway which really is better for me anyway. Cosmetic issues aside I checked it more thoroughly when I went back to the shop, it cycled well and the bore looked really good.

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
I’ve got a 1980 1894C in 95%+cond,and I wouldn’t even consider letting it go for a starting bid of less than $1,000.In the shape you describe,$500 isn’t a bad deal.And it sounds like you can fix it up too!
Once the new Remlin 1894c problems start surfacing,and the horror stories start popping up,your 1980 1894C will only go up in value,as they are getting tougher to find.

Reactions: Owen49

·
Registered
394 Posts
I looked for several years to find a reasonable priced 1894c in 357. As the others have attested to they are far and few in between. What I finally ended up with was a rifle that I have named "Lazarus" for obvious reasons. I purchased this rifle at auction and now have a total of $350 invested. I am still waiting to put on the new magazine tube but Lazarus shoots and functions remarkably well. :biggrin:

Wood

Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Shotgun

·
Registered
656 Posts
layaway is a good thing, u will b glad u when you pay it off. as long as metal is good, stock and forearm can always be replaced.. I lucked into mine, guy near me knew I liked marlins, he stopped at my house with with a marlin 357 c , told me $600 ,couldn't get my wallet out fast enough... Gun Firearm Rifle Air gun Wood

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all,

Yes, the timing isn't the best for this so I decided to take the longer route with the layaway. I'll just be a bit more frugal over the next few months, which will probably be good for me anyway. The worst case scenario is that I sell something else that I have to fund it because I do think this one's worth it.

As for the trap gun, while I am a bit excited to have a good excuse to get another firearm, they do have several team guns for my kid to use so I should probably wait a bit to find out if she likes it and plans to continue over time before I run right out and buy something that won't ever get used again.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I looked for several years to find a reasonable priced 1894c in 357. As the others have attested to they are far and few in between. What I finally ended up with was a rifle that I have named "Lazarus" for obvious reasons. I purchased this rifle at auction and now have a total of $350 invested. I am still waiting to put on the new magazine tube but Lazarus shoots and functions remarkably well. :biggrin:
Nice! Impressive bit of resto work.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Here's my track on the JM Marked 1894C. Note the model has appreciated in value faster than the inflation suggested by the Consumer Price Index and the selling prices have exceeded the MSRP at times, especially when no new 1894Cs were in production or available.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.