Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an Uncle Mike's barrel band for the magazine tube of my 336 in order to have a sling swivel.

The slotted screw that is supposed to go in one side will not start into the band from the inside or the outside. I think if I knew what size the screw threads were I could have it tapped and salvage the part.

This slotted screw is supposed to go in on one side and an Allen head screw goes into it from the other to tighten up the band.

Does anyone know what size that slotted screw is or does anyone have any advice on this topic?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Hi Kentucky Shooter, you should be able to carry the screw to an auto parts store and go to the screw and bolt section, there they should have a board with the different sizes and thread counts. Find the hole the screw fits and read the size and thread count. Good luck. Jerry

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Hi kentuckyShooter.
I bought one of those by Uncle Mike, for the same purpose. What I did not know is that it is made in China. You can find that, printed out of sight, around the back of the enclosed blurb.
I remember the grub screw and allen key. While tightening the grub screw, there was a "free-wheeling" sensation" which told me that the thread was stripped. Not So. The allen key was Twisted :eek:
Good Luck mate :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
kentucky shooter said:
..... or does anyone have any advice on this topic?
Yeah. Don't install these things! When my parents bought my 336 for me some 35 years ago, my father insisted on installing one of those Uncle Mike's clamp on bands. Back in 1976, it seemed like the only option.....

One fateful day, while out hunting some really rugged patch of Southern California High Desert mountianside, I litterally had to "hop" from one boulder to another to proceed along the trail. I unloaded the rifle for safety's sake, and proceeded the hopping from one rock to the next. When my boots landed on the last one of these rocks, so did the buttplate of my 336. The magazine tube had shot out from the end of the gun, causing my sling to not be connected to the rifle anymore.

A better solution in my mind is to either ditch your rear carbine band with a new one that has the swivel stud installed, or drill and tap the bottom of your existing one to take a stud. That's really the only solution I had after finally getting the rifle repaired because I had the magazine tube bobbed to 1/2 length.

If you're dead set on using the Uncle Mike's thingy, PM me the address you'd like an NOS AMERICAN MADE one sent. I've got a dozen or so of them, just taking up space in the gun room. That way, you won't have to futz around with inferior ChiCom junk. If you want one, what I'll send is the complete, unopened "kit" that includes the rear stud and the front clamp on thingy. Pretty sure you won't have the same problem with this.....

T-C

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Thanks Tele-Caster. I might D&T my band. Probably the simplest option, given I live in Australia.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I must have got lucky with mine as I put a Uncle Mike on mine and everything went OK. I am still going to get a solid ban and change that out one day as soon as I find one. :)

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Remove your front band, drill and tap it for a machine threaded sling swivel for a bolt gun. Shorten the sling swivel so it just goes through, add a dab of JB Weld to the threads, screw it in so it lines up right and never worry about it. Clean the excess off and let dry.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have decided to wrap up the uncle mikes barrel band and return it to midway usa to swap toward a rear band with swive stud in place.

Thanks to all who replied!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts