Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot my new to me 32 H&R magnum Cowboy today. Was using 10gn of H110, CCI small pistol primers and 100gn Hornady XTP in Starline brass. Accuracy was great at 100 yards and what a joy to shoot...There was however a fair bit of unburnt powder in the barrel and in the used cases. What can I do to reduce or elimanate this problem?
Cases were crimped by the way.
Thanks guys....
Brad

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
H-110 is hard to ignite and almost always requires small pistol magnum primers. They're recommended for every other caliber that H-110/296 uses, so would assume the same for even the 32H&R.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I've always used 2400 in my top .32 Mag loads, don't have a Marlin in that caliber(still looking!), but the Smith 16 burns it very cleanly. Many powders have a narrow pressure range that they prefer working in, 296/H110 is one, 2400 is another. Get below that and they start burning poorly. With ball powders, some need help in lighting off, that's the reason magnum primers exist. I usually use Winchesters with ball powders. Don't need magnum primers with 2400. One thing I've found is that the cases need close trimming to length for the batch in order to get a uniform crimp. They don't have to be any specific length to a gnat's eyelash, just uniform.

Stan

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would call Hodgdon.I know I saw it somewhere that they didnt recommend using 110 or 296 in the .32 H&R.Don't know why just remember seeing it. They don't list it in their load data

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use H110 in my Ruger in 32 H&R mag . Mag sure you have a good crimp , because H110 is harder to ignite. With my Marlin in 32-20 I use small rifle primers with 13 gr of H110 . Brian Pierce in Handloader magazine recommended small rifle primers in 32-20 rifles with H110.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Try a heavier crimp and/or increase the charge weight a bit. Maybe try a Lee FCD. I've always used a heavy crimp in everything that I use H110/W296 in 44's, 357's, 32's.
I'll have to look for my notes but I believe I was shooting 11gr of H110 with the 100 JSP's and 12-12.5gr with the 85gr Hornady XTP in the Marlin 32 Cowboy. Work up from the 10gr charge you started with.
Usually if its unburned powder with H110, its close to a less than 90% load, unless not enough crimp is applied.
I've used AA#9, Blue Dot also. in the 32 Mag in a Ruger 32 Single Six.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts