Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, stopped at a local gun shop...they had two used marlins in stock..rest were all new.

one of them was out of my price range, but the other one was in my price range

i checked the serial #...came up as a 1974 336.
there is no markings on it to tell me if it was a sc,a,rc....etc. It fit and held almost identical to my 1983 cs...but there is no cross bolt saftey of course b/c its a 74. Anyway...20 inch barrel...that is the only thing they had written down for it..

does anybody know what model it may be? it had the curved stock....so i know it wasnt a texan

is there any other way to tell, if the barrel just says model 336......??

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i also forgot to add...there was no checkering on the stock

and it looks like the sling stud in the buttstock pulled out or stripped out...and there is a small hairline crack in it

where is a good place to find a replacement stock (maybe polymer) if i were to buy it?

·
Super Moderator
15,828 Posts
With out seeing it ..I'd be putting money on a C. Back in them days they didn't mark the barrel with the letter C, just the 336. Here's one I refinished not too long ago, look anything like it? Mr fixit

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Mr fixit you posted as I was typing I was gonna say that too that I.believe it's a older 336c model!!As far as replacement stocks check with MidwayUSA!!!

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
Cajun said:
Mr fixit you posted as I was typing I was gonna say that too that I.believe it's a older 336c model!!
Agreed

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep that is identical too it....so its a 336c.....ok

now that gun...with excellent bluing.....but some nicks and scratches in the stock...and possible sling stud striped out at one time

whats a ballpark figure

they are asking 299 for it...

·
Super Moderator
15,828 Posts
mrmarlin...you state "and possible sling stud striped out at one time" Walnut stocked Marlins came with a bullseye in the stock, it's black and white usually located about 4" or there abouts from the toe of the butt plate, a sling about 3" from the end.

While the price may not be a killer bargain, considering what I've read here and the fact there are two 336C sittings at my local pawn shop going for $289.00+- (and they can sit there another 6 months ;D) that price isn't too bad, although getting it cheaper is always better. I found the Mar shield Marlin put on their earlier models (1970's) had a tendency to flake and peel off, that leaves the door open to you for refinishing in the future. Here's a link to a great guide on buying used firearms by Tomray. Hope this helps. Mr fixit

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
$299.isn't that bad if. It's in good shape I would jump on it that is about what they go for around my area used so I say if you want it go for it!!

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
A Marlin in decent shape with a good bore under $300 from a shop is a fair deal. Where I live there are quite a few used Marlins floating around the shops and we have what seems to be pretty reasonable prices by comparison to other locales and it is rare to see one displayed for less than $250 no matter the condition (within reason). And it seems those prices are beginning to edge up recently.

Private sales can sometimes be done cheaper but the availability is also less.

Remember, it's a tough gig selling guns for a living. Imagine all the fees, taxes, paperwork, insurance, etc they have to pay. You figure most good shops are going to put around a 30% mark-up over what they gave the seller/trader. They probably can't afford to go cut that by more than 10, maybe 15% and still keep the doors open.

At the end of the end day, every single gun out there is worth exactly what you are willing to pay for it and nothing anyone else thinks matters all that much. ;)

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Eli Chaps said:
At the end of the end day, every single gun out there is worth exactly what you are willing to pay for it and nothing anyone else thinks matters all that much. ;)
That says it all, right there. DP

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Cajun said:
$299.isn't that bad if. It's in good shape I would jump on it that is about what they go for around my area used so I say if you want it go for it!!
What are you guys smoking? In this area you can't find a 336 for under $400. I'd buy everyone I could find for $299, resell them and make a boat load. Buy it. I have a 1974 and it's worth $300. I think that period with no letter came between the RC and C stampings, so you can take your pic if you want it to be an RC or a C. ;D

·
Registered
821 Posts
never see on in my area for under $300. hell i paid $400 for my 1970 336 commemorative and $390 for my 1970 .35rem commemorative. you really can never go wrong adding another rifle to the collection no matter what the misses says ::)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea thats kinda what i figured, i was just curious about it....
im going to call around and see what else these gun shops have around here

the only thing i dont like about that gun....is that the sling stud in there butt of the gun....i looks like it ripped out (kinda hard to describe)
or someone tried to do it themselves and the hole it just a little bigger than it should be

the sling stud is in there, and its holding now....maybe they used a glue or something...

thats why i asked about the stocks...i may replace them...maybe not..im not sure yet

i still got to get my pics up of my 83 cs i got last week...and my 79 winny 94 i picked up this past weekend

sorry sorry sorry....i will get on that today

1 - 13 of 13 Posts