Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While innocently wandering around a local gun show yesterday, seeking reasonably priced .22LR ammo, I stumbled across a 2009 JM-stamped 1895GBL. I tried and tried NOT to take it home for $650. I failed. I am going to hold her, and love her, and stroke her; and when I'm done convincing my my wife I am grateful, I am going out to shoot my new gun!

This one's a tad different... It has XS DRC winged ghost ring sights installed, no cross-bolt safety and the older hard-rubber shoulder pad instead of the foam rubber you see on the new GBL's. While my lovely bride sounded dubious about me "needing" another lever gun, my Marlins are outperforming my 401K and silver dollars, so why not?

On a side note, I stumbled across a 1/2-round, 1/2-octagonal 1895 in a pawn shop listed as a "Cowboy." It's in good shape with the exception of a lot of handling marks (small dings/dents) in the wood. The SN starts with "DFC..." The metal is in good shape. I did not look at the bore. I can't find what the SN means, but they're asking $600. I'm afraid this one may be one too many...!

I've not had any luck posting pictures before, but I'll try again with a couple shots of the new (to me) John Marlin made GBL:

Firearm Gun Trigger Air gun Gun barrel
Gun Firearm Trigger Wood Air gun

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
that sir is a LTD I 24" barrel, straight stock 1/2round 1/2 octagon only 1001 made, holds 8 + 1 in the chamber and are going for $900-1200 dollars right now of the few i have seen

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
MIRedneck, for your information there is no such thing as,''Innocently wandering around a local gun show.'' Now that we have that cleared up, congrats on the new Marlin. If it is in fact a 2009 model it will have a CBS, someone may have removed it and replaced it with the kit that is available. Enjoy that one and see if you can ''aquire'' the LTD. Get yur wife into shooting and she can help with your/her Marlinitis. Y'all take care, John.:flute:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Nice gun there MIRednieck, and yep, you missed a good one, there is no cure for Marlinitis, might as well give in to it, especially when you belong to a group of Marlinitis infected gun people like us. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Congratulations

Nice catch, I am curious though, a 2009 without a safety??? I'm also wondering what happened, could someone replaced it with a plug?
Any rate you have a nice rifle.

Reactions: MIRedneck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, what a great bunch of codependent enablers you guys are!!

Upon closer look, there are some flaws in the 1895LTD: The swivel stud is the once beautiful stock is not screwed in all the way as it started splitting the wood, so the guy who pawned it must have chickened-out. Too bad he wasn't familiar with pilot holes. There's some very fine rust specks on the left side of the receiver, and the bluing on the barrel is thin (don't know if that's the right technical term, but the bluing is not as deep as the mag tube or receiver.) The hammer is worn, so it's had some rounds through it. As I mentioned the wood has some handling marks, but the bore is clean (appears to be micro-groove like my .30-30), the crown is good, and it cycles more smoothly than any of my other lever guns. I got them to back the price down by the sales tax amount (9.5% in these parts) so $600 out the door.

I'm no gunsmith - and this one needs some TLC. I'll post photos when I get a chance - and I'm hoping it shoots like it cycles, but it'll be a while before I can head to the woods.

Thank for the quick education, Gentlemen!

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Well Red good on you for saving that Limited, you will never regret spending that $600 which will turn into a higher value and investment. eh

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Well, what a great bunch of codependent enablers you guys are!!

Upon closer look, there are some flaws in the 1895LTD: The swivel stud is the once beautiful stock is not screwed in all the way as it started splitting the wood, so the guy who pawned it must have chickened-out. Too bad he wasn't familiar with pilot holes. There's some very fine rust specks on the left side of the receiver, and the bluing on the barrel is thin (don't know if that's the right technical term, but the bluing is not as deep as the mag tube or receiver.) The hammer is worn, so it's had some rounds through it. As I mentioned the wood has some handling marks, but the bore is clean (appears to be micro-groove like my .30-30), the crown is good, and it cycles more smoothly than any of my other lever guns. I got them to back the price down by the sales tax amount (9.5% in these parts) so $600 out the door.

I'm no gunsmith - and this one needs some TLC. I'll post photos when I get a chance - and I'm hoping it shoots like it cycles, but it'll be a while before I can head to the woods.

Thank for the quick education, Gentlemen!
Trust us---after you shoot it you will completely forget about all of its little imperfections. Best $600.00 you've spent in a long time. If I found one for that price it would already be here. Congrats-----your in for a real thrill.

Steve--:tee:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1997 1895LTD Pictures

Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Shotgun
Shotgun Air gun Gun barrel
Wood Hardwood Plywood Table Wood stain
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Shotgun

Alrighty, then - here's the pics.

Has a Weaver scope base, but original sights are intact. Wood looks recoverable, the only real flaw will be the dumba$$ tried to screw into the Marlin bullseye before forcing the stud into the wood behind it. Ballard rifling - just not as deep as some of my newer guns.

Another project, but given my "support group" I am sure it will be fine...

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
MlRedneck

That's nice. If that crack in the stock it big enough to lift up a bit you could mix a little Micro Bed, raise the crack, put some Micro Bed under it, wipe off the excess & you'd have a pretty good repair. If you do remove the rear swivel to make sure you don't glue it in permanently.
If it's not that big you might try getting some wanlut stain & work a little in so it'd be less noticable?
At any rate I think you have a fine rifle, kind of unique, enjoy!:top:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Many of us know the feeling. I have no need for a 30-30 or a 35 Rem but still one in an XLR is very tempting. Fortunately I keep reminding myself that the current 45-70 XLR and the 450MXLR is enough.
I have given up on a 338MXLR but still keep a bit of reserve money just in case......

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Hey MI,

Great looking 1895!

Agree with the previous posters, TIME TO "STREEEEEEEEEEEEEEETCH" THE PLASTIC!

Heck, buy it for $600, and sell it here for $700. Make a quick $100, and make another "CB'holic" very happy.

Your Marlinitis suffering, fellow MO Member, ROTFLMAO!

Mark

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.