Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think it is possible to shoot a 300 grain bullet at 1,300 fps out of this rifle without battering the rifle over time?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about the 44 mag? Can it take rounds loaded warm?

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I still have a hard time believing that anyone would make a toggle link action levergun in 44 mag. To me it's about like putting a shoulder stock on a hand grenade and wondering when it will explode. I have an old replica 1866 38 Special and I sprung it to a case head separation shooting three rounds of Reminton 125 gr hollowpoints many years ago. At 100 yds the three shots were all but touching, however the rifle was not meant for anything but very mild loads.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then I wonder why a company with such deep pockets as Uberti would make a 44 magnum? Would seem to this novice shooter they know more than the general public since they designed and built them with modern steel and have to proof the rifles to be able to export them.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Then I wonder why a company with such deep pockets as Uberti would make a 44 magnum? Would seem to this novice shooter they know more than the general public since they designed and built them with modern steel and have to proof the rifles to be able to export them.
I did some research on the Uberti 1873 .44 magnum and they used a harder steel for the receiver on that model. Apparently the weak point in the action is not so much the toggle link as it is the receiver battering out and eventually leading to looseness in the action and excessive headspace if continuously fed hot loads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.