Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stored my BMW in a friends garage over the LONG winter and kept the battery maintainer connected. Went to start it up and the battery did not have the guts. I ordered the new battery and installed it ....... started right up! :)

Took the bike off the center stand to ride it home (just 2 miles) and no front brakes....... I knew the front master cylinder was leaking when I stored the bike and had the parts on my computer desk since last November.

Took apart the master cylinder yesterday and replaced the seals and plunger. What a mess I had on my hands. After removing the plastic covers and getting to the actual cylinder there were crystals of brake fluid all over.

After about an hour of cleaning and polishing the master cylinder I got it back together and now have great brakes!!

Talk about built up crap....... Brake fluid does not like moist air exposure

Camera Cameras & optics Windshield Photography Electronics
Blue Turquoise Auto part Circle Wheel

Reactions: M700 and whiskers

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well from what I have red DOT 5 is not compatible with my ABS system.

·
Registered
493 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not that ambitious....... I am going to hang with my DOT4 ........ the ABS system is complicated enough and if it ever fails and needs work I plan on removing it!

Yes I looke it up and since it will foam up...... it will not get along with the abs pumps

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Good info, thanks. My Thunderbird has ABS, I'll go read up on it.

Mark.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well we had a SEVERE hail storm which missed my home however, dented the roof, fenders and one entire side of my wife's car. I was really bummed out but, called the insurance people (Pending a call back).......I decided I needed to enter therapy. My therapist is my BMW and took it for a short 150 mile shake down run and it worked perfectly........ it even has working brakes!

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car
Land vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car
Motor vehicle Vehicle Green Automotive lighting Car

The therapy did nothing for the hail damage but I sure feel better!!!!!

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Brakes are over-rated.:hmmmm: Until you want to stop.:biggrin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.