Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out hunting with some friends this weekend and picked up two nice hogs. The first one I caught moving along through some fallen timber. I was sitting down quietly when I heard it moving around and coming my way. I kept seeing the top of its back moving along behind some large logs, and couldn't get a clean shot. I slid down about 20 yards behind a small log and just my luck, it came walking along the other side of the log! Just as I heard it come alongside the other side of the log I think it scented me as it stopped. Too late, I sat up and BOOM - 325gr FTX from the GBL barely cleared the muzzle before it found hog.

Round two came early in the afternoon of all times. Found a hog bedded down in a thick grove and two of us made our way up towards it. The hog made us and seemed pretty agitated trying to figure out where to go between us coming in from each side and not being able to move backwards from terrain/fence. The boar moved back and forth but there were way too many trees and brush to really see the hog much less get a shot. Finally I saw a shadow moving through a cluster of saplings and setup in a kneel against a tree for support.. The hog came out of the clear at about 25-30yards and I wish that was all she wrote, but my first shot must not have been great or something. First shot I thought hit right in the sweet spot, but the hog started moving. I worked the lever and followed up with another which I rushed and knew was high as soon as I yanked on the trigger. Hit right at the top of its shoulder through the meat but nothing critical, except the hog turned toward me. The pucker factor kicked in at this point and I dumped three more rounds into the hog, backing left around the tree as the hog circled. Third shot hit the shoulder/leg and he tumbled, trying to turn right. Fourth was a gut shot, fifth was about 5 yards away into the vitals (again?) and flattened him. Examining the boar afterwards, all shots went straight through. Not exactly my proudest hunting moment.

·
Premium Member
13,701 Posts
Very nice, thank you for sharing the story and pictures. Great gun and good eating. It's moments like when you were shooting the second hog where a lever works great. I know that wasn't the way you would have chosen to take the hog however at least you had the quick follow up shots available to you.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
You have every right to be proud bro. That is a hunt you will NEVER forget and you managed to harvest the beastie without getting carved up.

I had one get after me last week in the dark. One of the very few times a hawg hasn't just dropped right there and died. She was hurt bad though and began to circle me but I was on to her and exited that blind and moved diagonally away from her and into the open. I threw the .444 up on the Primos Trigger Stick and hit the light as she was getting close!! As soon as the light hit her she came at me and I blew the top of her head off. I know exactly how you feel bro. Not every hunt is 'textbook' no matter how much we practice etc. Ya done good!!!!!!

Dave 8)

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Awesome man! Thanks for sharing with us cabin fever stricken fellas!

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
Nice hogs...and... nice story! I'd suppose you might be glad you didn't have your 30/30 with hog #2 :eek: ?? Just kiddin'!! ;D

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know if the 30-30 would have been better or worse. If my first shot was bad, my second shot might have been better because I think I'm a little quicker with my 30-30's. Of course my first shot could have been better if I was using my scoped 30-30... maybe. Or maybe because that boar was already riled up and had a good bit of adrenaline going through it's blood, it knew it wasn't going down without a fight. I've thought it over about 100x.

Only thing I'm certain about is I'll smile and think of the good fight he put up while I'm standing around the grill.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Thats some nice piggies there bro....you done good thanks for sharing the story with us!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts