Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These were worth producing 10 more each to test ten shot groups. I'll try them in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
555 Posts
RV
Nice shooting with the little 41 caliber.And I have to admit thats a real nice veiw from your front porch.

·
Registered
154 Posts
RV -

Sure looks like another 1894 which likes "greenbox" bullets... also looks like by going to the light 4198 load you slowed it down, ie, not taxing the action as much. Keep it up.

do shoot straight (as if you need to be told),
greg

ps. I'm expecting to do last friday's data taking tomorrow a.m. (had a yahoo and his f250 take out 6 power poles thursday night, and had to stay around to turn things off when the power came back on).

·
Registered
363 Posts
L.V. the group with the 210 Sierra JHP looks nearly identical to mine when I use that bullet with 18.0 grains 2400, in my Marlin 1894S.

Good shooting.

L.W.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leanwolf said:
L.V. the group with the 210 Sierra JHP looks nearly identical to mine when I use that bullet with 18.0 grains 2400, in my Marlin 1894S.

Good shooting.

L.W.
I'm starting to think that my marlin just needs to be shot. Hopefully after a few hundred rounds it will settle in.

I did try some 4100 powder and it was so-so.I plan on loading up 25 more at 1/2 grain increments and give it a good try.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
RV,

I have run about 300 rounds of jacketed ammo through my FG because the bore was so rough from the factory. It was awful. The accuracy seems to be shaping up a bit and the action has smoothed out. I want to run another 200 jacketed rounds through it before I start shooing lead bullets. I figure by then I can start testing some handloads through it without the bore affecting them so much.

I added a Williams peep to mine, I had it drilled and tapped when I had the front sight remounted, and it has made a big difference in my shooting accuracy. Having the front sight remounted helped my accuracy the most... :shock:

·
Registered
154 Posts
RV Stallard said:
I'm starting to think that my marlin just needs to be shot. Hopefully after a few hundred rounds it will settle in.
RV -

I hadn't realised that the FG was that new/unshot... so yes: do shoot it some more (lots more) and get the bore lapped/smoothed out. Our general experience is that more Marlins don't settle down/in until they've had 2000 shots down the bore... but would recommend lead bullets at reduced velocities for lapping vs jacketed (with jacketed there always a chance of galling the really rough spots in the barrel). Some 215gr swcl's riding on 6gr of unique might do the trick.

do shoot straight,
greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts