Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchased an 1894 Marlin in 25/20. The barrel needs to be relined. It has a 26" barrel. I plan on shooting primarily lead bullets in the 80 grain range for cowboy silhouette and the occasional squirrel hunt. I have read that some originals have throats that are to long. Would anyone be able to recommend what the twist rate should be for this bullet weight? Also is there a particular reamer that I should request be used to give optimum accuracy with lead bullets in this weight range? Recommendations as to gunsmiths that specialize in relining would be appreciated.
The wood is in very good condition but most of the original finish on the metal has been worn off. I suppose it would be sacrilegious to have it refinished? Any thoughts on that would be appreciated as well.
Thanks,
Ferret Master

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there FM -- Before relining, you might consider a serious cleaning. Often a poor appearing bore is just nasty fouled over decades of improper cleaning. Marlin made their 1894's in 25-20 Marlin with a one in twelve twist. Winchester essentially stole the cartridge and named it the 25-20 Winchester. Here is some excellent information on it by 30wcf: http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/3...there-no-25-wcf-cartridge-because-marlin.html If you opt for a reline, load up a couple dummy rounds and send them with the rifle. John Taylor at Taylor Machine |*Contact would be the one I'd like to do it for me. My liner would come from TJ's. He uses a one in fourteen twist.

View attachment 110657

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
I'll second Wind on cleaning the barrel and then shooting it first. I bought a .25/20 from 1902 that had what I thought was a horrible barrel. Much cleaning removed over a 100 years of gunk and revealed some of those swirly things that are supposed to help your bullets shoot straight. 5 shots at 25 yards went into one hole and I did not reline the barrel. I see no need to spend the money.

Oh, if you decide to sell it I might know some one that likes .25/20's.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have had good luck using lead removal cloth to clean a bad bore. I first cut the cloth up to patch size pieces. I place the cleaning rod on the floor and push the gun down over top of the rod. bobn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts