Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for old time's sake, what's your most successful tweak for accuracy??? With the Shawnee hunt a mere 7 months away, it's time to clear the cobwebs, and get ready for those headshots- a squirrel's brain ain't much bigger' n a green acorn, or a ten bull on the BDT. What do YOU do to get that new to you rifle up to snuff for the GBT's??? Bedding? New fangled optics? play with ammo selection? good old fashioned practice? what about shootin technique? This is the place to let out your own bag of tricks, and read about what others do....

I'll throw my two bits in later on.... let's see where everyone is at these days before cabin fever drives us all insane....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
932 Posts
The very first thing when I get a new rifle is to see which ammo it likes the best because you will waste your time on every other trick if you don't find that out first. Well, sometimes depending on how bad it is the first thing would be the trigger which I usually "fix" myself and add a trigger shoe. Sometimes i will play with the tightness of the stock bolt. Practice is a key element as with any skill and shooting good is a skill. But I don't have much time to practice shooting cause I have to spend my free time practicing that damn fiddle.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Pick and choose my favorite ammo. Hopefully it hasn't changed manufacturing hands again, if it does, throw rant, then repeat step 1. Sight in, clean barrel, fire a few foouling shots, leave it the frick alone.
I left out the part about chewing on aluminum foil, while chanting and drinking tea made by two blind girls in Afganistan, only because tea gives me heartburn and gas.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I shoot my 22 a TON. So i find the best ammo in my price range that shoots well.(Usially in bulk pack) Right now, im having good luck with winchester wildcat HPs. Then, i pick my sights, typicaly a peep of some sort. Then i print off some GBT targets and set them up about 50 yards away, and practice. I cant always make head shots, but i usially connect. I have not really found that cleaning changes point of impact (handgun or long gun) so i clean after every two or three hundred rounds. I dont really have any tweeks, other than practicing offhand. I then go out to my tree rat blind, sit on a bucket and wait!

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Yep find ammo stick with it. and practice.. I use some life size targets of the rodents.. to practice at different ranges.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Practice off hand, leaned against a post,from a sitting position, laying down with the rifle leaned against the leg or sitting on the foot, but never hanging upside down unless u turn the rifle over.

I like to use targets that are more reactive than paper. Whales(a cheep version of goldfish crackers) cheez it's are a bout 1" square and most have a little hole in the middle and you can use pins to sitck them up to the board with (use the ones u buy the wife gets fussy when she can't find her box of pins for sewing) and they are a bright color.

Also at 25yds you can shoot the staples out of the other guys target. U know the guy who is shooting his 400 blaster mag with muzzel brake and just had to set up right next to u at the range. makes em wonder what is wrong with his staples he,he, he that'll teach him to set up next to a rabid squirrel hunter.

The trigger generally wears in after about 5000 rounds so I don't mess with it.

I have a 10.00 dollar scope on my rifle and it works fine but I will probably put a better one on it.

I battle sight zero my rifle with the ammo that it prefers.
for the 880sq and subsonics I zero at 18/50 sothat the bullet is +/- 1/2" from 16 to 54 yards. this serves me well for hunting at the ranges I get shots.
The 22mag is zero'd at 30 and 85 and good for 25to 100yds (late season)
probably a dozen other things I do that I don't realize. like blow off the scopes with compressed air and blacken the iron sights that kind of thing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
bowdog,
Please explain "zero at 18/50". How do you do that? I understand what you are trying to end up with just not how you are getting there.

My biggest frustration in preparing for the upcoming season is that I can't practice REAL situations at my range. We now have range officers and they freak out when you want to sit on the ground or step out of the lane to lean on a post. Etc.. So I just have to do the best I can to make sure that the rifle is shooting where it should and then hope I can do my part.

Wannabe

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Zero at 18/50 yds is simply trajectory. The bullet's path crosses the line of sight twice as it travels from the muzzle to the target. I like a zero of 25/87 yds- it works for most of the shots I encounter hunting. This zero has me about an inch or so high at 50, dead on again at 87 and about 2" low at 100 yds. I zero at 25, and then pace off 87 paces and fine tune at that distance. Works for me :D

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
131 Posts
Wannabe
doc is right on it is the trajectory curve that works for Eley/Agulia subsonic 22 ammo.

It's kinda like shooting down a 1" pipe you aim at the middle and the bullet from 18yards all the way out to about 54 or so yards doesn't stray and hit the top or bottom because you have a 1/2" below to 1/2" above your aimpoint.

I call it battle sight zero If i sight my 22 mag in about 2 1/2" high at 50 then that rifle with 40 gr Winchesters will still be in a Squirrel's neck at 150yds if I hold on his head and I hold my toung right.

I do the same for my high powered rifles the 223 sighted in at 25/250 will keep the bullet on a song dog with a center hold out to 264 yards if he is at 300 I hold at the top of his back.

3" high at 100 with the 150gr load I use in the .308 puts me on again at 286yds with a dead on hold out to 300 for deer sized game.

I've found most folks don't use the trajectory of their bullets effectivaly because they don't understand how it can work for them.

My use for this method is to halve the size of the target squirrel head 1" and set my rifle/ammo combinatiion so that I can use a dead on hold for the longest yardage. If you look at The way doc is sighted in he will have to hold under at 50 or shoot the squirrels ears off. This method is effective for Doc because he knows how his rifle is sighted and will use his trajectory curve out at longer yardage
Neither way is perfect for all situations but both work within their limitations.

Sorry doc didn't mean to hijack your tips .

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bowdog said:
Wannabe

Sorry doc didn't mean to hijack your tips .
LOL- the more the merrier- everyone's got something that works for their needs...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lots to think about has been posted. Here's my partial take on it....

A good trigger is essential to accurate shooting, even more so to the hunter shooting from offhand, or hurried field positions. Marlins are upgradeable wth the rifle basix system. Other triggers may need to be worked over to smooth them up and reduce pull to something manageable and safe. I like a 3 1/2 lb pull for hunting- squeezing one off don't pull the barrel off the target. Gunsmith's will charge a reasonable fee for cleaning up and lightening trigger pull. I've found most trigger improvement work to cost from 20-40 bucks at my gunsmith- just about all of this charge is for his labour time...

Get the clearest, brightest optics you can afford. Hunting with a scope that doesn't work well in dim light is no fun at all. The old adage you get what you pay for certainly rings true here. Magnification is secondary to clarity and brightness any day of the week. I can use up to about 8 X off-hand before magnification becomes a distraction.

Spend a little on good rings and mounts- the ten bucks more for Burris Zee rings over the Weaver clamshell rings was worth it's weight in gold for me.

Bedding- a drop of accra-glas in the right place in the receiver inletting will work wonders for rifles that string their groups. Barrel free-floating on bolt actions will tighten groups further. For one of my rifles, I sought the sevices of an experienced gunsmith for these two jobs. I've bedded and free floated a couple of single shots on my own with good results since that time. BTW- Free floated barrels are a Savage selling point for their rimfire line- something to keep in mind when rimfire shopping...

Experimenting with the stock mounting screws tension will also help.

Practice-

I've found good old fahioned off-hand plinking to be about the best for getting ready for hunting season. I usually start on this one as soon as enough snow melts off the backroads that they are passable. I do as much shooting as I possibly can over the summer, when ever walleye fishing don't interfere. Practicing in wind, at different ranges, sometimes guesstimating range, is a fun tune-up for me. The kids get a kick out of this one too.

I'll throw in a few more plugs later- I'm gettin long in the tooth here....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
251 Posts
Lets get a little more specific here. Doc.....I apologise but someone mentioned Shawnee coming up. I've never been to one of these gatherings but after having viewed photos of a couple of them, and after having read and re-read more posts about it than anyone with a life should reasonably have time to read.............I can humbly make the following rccomendations for tweaking accuracy in anticipation of the Shawnee hunt. (Please keep in mind that these are ONLY for Shawnee, that I am not personally or legally responsible for my actions or thoughts, and lastly, that I am deeply disturbed).
1) Use Marlins whenever possible
2) If not using a Marlin.....anything you like will do
3)I don't care what Sarge says....a shotgun with a bead should count as "iron sights".
4)Practice a lot while intoxicated......that should help prepare you for shooting while badly hung over.
5)If you are abbhorant to number 4 for moral or legal reasons then just drink heavily the night before you practice....this will work nicely.
6) If at all possible be of a rotund body shape and use a Jews harp regularly.....this is actually what is meant by "barrel harmonics".
7) Memorize 5 or 6 excuses for missing and practice blurting them out at the very instant the gun fires. People will think you have a much sharper eye than you actually do.
8) Have several skinned squirrels already in your cooler when you go. Hide them in your clothing before the hunt. This can be impressive if handled correctly.
9)I like to shoot a few targets at near point blank range thereby obtaining inhumanly tight groups. These can be hidden under the shirt when "checking your target", and substituted. Sleight of hand is a major boon to marksmanship, and is often badly underestimated by the layman.
10) Poison WILL work, but is disdained by the true sportsman.
11) Waiting for a beseiged squirrel to die of old age is the least efficient method available........but will work with enough patience.
12) Bed your action.........if you can catch her!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Shawnee tips:

1: Practice shooting at long distances....40 - 60 Yds.

2: Practice a LOT shooting almost straight up. (shooting sweet gum balls is great practice if you can find a tree tall enough)

When proficient at #'s 1 & 2

3: Practice shooting long distances almost straight up.

firstshot

·
Registered
932 Posts
Tips for Shawnee? Practice getting up early and making coffee - strong coffee.I don't like weak coffee. And disregard #3 on Oldfart's list, replace it with #3 on Firstshot's list.

·
Registered
158 Posts
oldfart said:
8) Have several skinned squirrels already in your cooler when you go. Hide them in your clothing before the hunt. This can be impressive if handled correctly.
9)I like to shoot a few targets at near point blank range thereby obtaining inhumanly tight groups. These can be hidden under the shirt when "checking your target", and substituted. Sleight of hand is a major boon to marksmanship, and is often badly underestimated by the layman.
OldFart,
Theres one you forgot:
The small have'a' heart traps cant be beat, bait them with sunflower seeds, the limit is 5 so bring 10 of 'em. Nothing sez marksmanship like limiting out with 5 perfect head shots.

·
Registered
251 Posts
TyCobb said:
oldfart said:
OldFart,
Theres one you forgot:
The small have'a' heart traps cant be beat, bait them with sunflower seeds, the limit is 5 so bring 10 of 'em. Nothing sez marksmanship like limiting out with 5 perfect head shots.

Oh Oh.........looks like I been tryin to teach my grandmother to suck eggs again.........

Sarge: I forgot to mention I was gonna use slugs in that shotgun. :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts