Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone watch the State of the Union address last night?
I was honestly moved by the 100 year old Tuskegee Airman that President Trump pointed out last night.
The stories that gentleman could tell! WWII, Korea, Viet-Nam! That's a lot of seat time!
My uncle was a combat pilot in Germany toward the end of WWII, and I have always had a spot in my heart for these guys.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had 2 relatives that were B-17 flight engineers in both Europe and the South Pacific and another piloted a B-25. They were very humble about their experiences. About 20% of them went down.
Four 100 year old highly decorated WW-2 veterans were part of the Super Bowl coin toss on Sunday.
Salute to all veterans.

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
Tuskegee Airmen:flag::eagle::congrats::congrats::congrats:

May God Bless Those That Serve and Served !

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Certainly well deserved and very much appreciated. Promotion to Brigadier, well earned.

And well conceived and presented! A spectacular moment.

·
Registered
173 Posts
You guys should have a look at this site. It is an amazing project. It highlights a fallen WWII vet every day on what would have been their 100th birthday. I’ve been following it for about a year now.

WW2 Fallen 100

·
Banned
4,647 Posts
Yes, he looked great, what a heroic career. I wonder how many pilots flew combat in three wars I had a Navy Aviator friend who sadly passed years ago, that flew in WWII, Korea and Nam. There couldn't have been many.

Padraig
Possibly more than you'd think.....much respects to every one of them! Regardless of seat time.

My dad had a friend when I was a kid, I believe he was a B-17 tail gunner. He had a model of an ME-262 jet in his den, I asked him why once, and he told me he built the model because he'd shot one of them down! That was a WOW moment.....

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
I watched it all, from the snubbed hand shake till the ripping up of the speech! LOL then I even watched as a liberal rebutted the president and tried to make me think that they would come to the rescue and save us from this doomed economy???,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
252 Posts
Promoting him to Brigadier General at the State of the Union... Awesome!
Actually, his stars were pinned on earlier in the day in the oval office - formalizing an honorary promotion from last December. A total of 409 combat missions during WW-II, Korea, and RVN. Also he presented the coin for the Superbowl LIV coin-toss. Also an Eagle Scout.

He has lived a very full life, more than worthy of all the accolades and appreciation he has received. And DANG, he looks to be in his 60s rather than over 100.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You guys should have a look at this site. It is an amazing project. It highlights a fallen WWII vet every day on what would have been their 100th birthday. I’ve been following it for about a year now.

WW2 Fallen 100
WOW! What a great site. I think I am already hooked although it chokes me up. Truly the Greatest Generation.

Padraig

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
A buddy of mine sent me a pic of a T-shirt that said there are lot of Hero's from world war two, mine raised me.SO true!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
WOW! What a great site. I think I am already hooked although it chokes me up. Truly the Greatest Generation.

Padraig
It’s easy to spend a lot of time reading the stories. I recently saw a profile for a soldier who died on D-Day buried about 15 mins from my house. I’ll probably visit it at some point soon just to pay my respects.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
My Uncle Jack flew F4U Corsairs with Pappy Boyington in WWII. I actually met Pappy several times through him when I was a boy. Nothing at all like Robert Conrad. He was very heavy, bald, and had an extremely foul mouth which he did not rein in around women and kids. Probably would have cussed at dinner for the preacher.
Learned a lot of new words from him.
He and Uncle Jack had lots of good combat flying tales. I paid rapt attention

1 - 20 of 25 Posts