Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Herd one gobble, the hen's must of ran to him, cuz he shut up, wouldn't ancer me after that, waited 45 minutes nothing, so were on the move.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
On one of my walks last week I took a trail that didn't have any cars at the trail head so I wouldn't interfere with any hunters. As things normally go I came around a corner and there was a bearded turkey about 30 yds away with it back turned to me, tail feathers spread. I stood there for almost a full minute before he noticed me and ran away. Talked to the hunters later and they said they didn't see a thing all morning.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Don’t feel bad. Had a blind and decoys out and Mrs. shawlerbrook was in the blind. After some gobbling in the roost, the fog lifted just enough for the birds to cross the field. Unfortunately, I forgot to remind Mrs. shawlerbrook that the range of her full choked, 20 ga. 3” wasn’t the same as her 7mm08 and she shot a little to early. Oh well, at least I don’t have a turkey to clean. We will get them tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Sorry to year you didn't get one (yet)....there are more chances.

I'm heading to camp in an hour...I couldn't get off work for today's opener in NH...But...I have Monday off...so I still get 3 days in this weekend.

redhawk

·
Registered
7,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to year you didn't get one (yet)....there are more chances.

I'm heading to camp in an hour...I couldn't get off work for today's opener in NH...But...I have Monday off...so I still get 3 days in this weekend.

redhawk
This morning was opening Day for us, lots of time.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
This morning was opening Day for us, lots of time.
Lots of gobbles back from my calls in the NH north woods....but redhawk0 = 0 as well....I did see one Tom...but he saw me first...came in from behind me without a sound (until he saw me) Oh well...next weekend we'll try again.

redhawk

·
Registered
641 Posts
I went out this am and heard nothing but called in a hen. About 8:30 six jakes came running into my decoys and I brought one home and missed another. I said how could I of missed a fast walking bird but I had a 3 1/2 inch Heavy shot in that barrel and the pattern was most likely under a foot at the range I missed him. The one I got I had a Federal third degree in my bottom barrel and a more open choke. By the time I got this big Jake back to the house I was glad I wasn't carrying two!
Yesterday my neighbor saw 10-12 birds together so the Toms are still most likely henned up here in CT.
Thanking God for his beautiful morning,and bountiful blessing. Also that Jakes are Legal in CT!!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I was out and about yesterday looking to spend some of that Govenment money.
I saw 3 gobblers roaming about from 12:30 to 2:30.
The hens should be sneaking off to nest and leaving the gobblers alone in the afternoon around here.

Reactions: no primers

·
Registered
7,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We can only hunt till noon in ny.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Keep at it, there be birds out there. I'm hoping to get out Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Need meat for the freezer.
V

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
We can only hunt till noon in ny.
We can hunt all day in Indiana everywhere but F&W areas that hold draw hunts.
Sucks when a bird starts gobbling when the clock runs out.

Reactions: no primers

·
Registered
1,239 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Well...my Spring hunt is over. Too much going on the next few weekends (and work during the week)...The Turkeys seemed to win this year.

I kinda figured it was a lost cause on Saturday...The other guys and myself were out all morning and not a single gobble from any of our calls. In the afternoon we were heading up to a power line to do some shooting long-distance and when we rounded a corner with a 4-wheeler....momma turkey and 15 chicklets were in the trail. When we saw that we got to thinking that the breeding season was VERY early this year (incubation is 27-28 days) which put it back in the middle of April. Once the chicks hatch...they won't give away their position when the "turkey rut" is over.

Oh well...we'll try again this Fall when the combined tom/hen season comes back in.

But...it sure was a fun 3 weekends for me (Monday's off due to Work-Share gave me 3 day weekends)...the only downside is its a very heavy Tick season...pick-a-tick...walk 10 steps...pick-a-tick....walk 10 steps....etc....etc....etc....

I hope you all had better luck then me.

redhawk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts