Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I LOVE TO TURKEY HUNT! since the mid 1970's i have tried to be out after them every year.

it took some time, but once i was hooked on the sport, i realised that hunting turkeys in one state for only a few days just wasn't going to satisfy the longing! i needed more!

sometime in the 90's wisconsin opened up a turkey season in an area that a friend of mine owned some property in. he ordered and got a tag to hunt. i , at once ,volunteered to meet him up there and offered up my services as a turkey caller.

his name was marcus. he had never hunted turkeys before so accepted my offer. this led to us hunting around his place from that time until just last season.

hunting with marcus was never dull. i got lots of practice at calling turkeys. there were a lot of turkeys around his place. really, sneaky turkeys! we were soley responsible for raising their IQ'S by fully 30 points the very first season. every year they got a little slicker!

it wasn't that marcus wasn't willing to go out after them. we went all the hours that the law allowed. it wasn't that i didn't call a lot of them in close enough for the old coup de gras. i did.

it just seems to me that we were never quite ready when they actually put in the long awaited appearance.

marcus was kind of a figeter. he just might be figeting around when the old turkey was right on top of us and about to pop his head into view. those old turkey gobbles aint figeters. they had absolutely no interest in hanging around once they smelled the rat!

i called in a lot of turkeys for marcus. i had given up on him every getting one that i called in. now, on occasion marcus hunted on his own before i could get up there. several times he killed turkeys on his own. i could not figure it out. why couldn't he get one of the ones i called in?

i suspected that he was depending too much on me to tell him when everything was right. it was a mystery to me for years.

a couple of years ago, during the last of the season , we decided to hunt together. we went into a freshly cutover woods. there were brushpiles and tangles everyplace. the only place any ground critter could move in there was on dirt track they had skidded logs out on.

this track dipsy doo'd and curley cued all around inside that tangle. there had always been turkeys in this woods before they hacked it down and i suspected they were still around there.

i found a sharp turn in the track and a spot we could see it from out in the brush. i sat marcus facing the track and i sat right behind him. only about 10 whole feet of that road could be seen. no cricks in the neck for sure. you could look the whole area you could see over by just moving your eyes.

i told marcus not to take his eyes off that spot. if we got a turkey to come in and he walked through there, we would never get it to come back. be ready! alert! on guard!

so , i got out my array of calls and set about to bring em on in. late season turkey hunting can be frustrating. those old gobblers done gobbled themselves silly and have heard every kind of call there is.

it was late in the morning and was heating up nicely. there wasn't going to be much shade in those woods when the sun got hot.

i started out with a series of soft yelps. i waited....nope. i waited a few minutes. then, a series of louder yelps. nope. out came the box call. i went through a gradually increasing volume of yelps. still nothing.

finally, i did some loud cutting with that box call. way out there......i got a gobble! if i had to guess i would say that the old turkey was in a differant county than us. i waited a bit and cut at him again and got even a fainter gobble.

as it was late in the season i figured to make him wait for any more calling. i decided to wait about 30 minutes. i didn't need him strutting and gobbling over in the next county...i need him to use his migrating instincts and migrate towards us! he certainly had some ways to go.

the 30 minutes had gone by. that old sun had strenghtened up and was ablazing up a storm. i was hoping to hear that old gobbler sound off requesting another position check! i strained my ears listening.

that's when i heard it! it started faintly and picked up volume. my hunting partner let off this big snore! not one of those , oh, i just drifted off a second ago kinda snores....oh no...this was one of those i been asleep most of this time kinda snores"! that turkey could been out there in front of us doing pirohettes and he would not have seen him.

i nudged him with my boot and he come back to life. i saw him come around slowly and then.....his eyes narrowed. slowly he put the shotgun to his shoulder.

oh sure......i was not about to be fooled into thinking that at the exact precise moment that i just happened to wake him up that the old gobbler was just standing there waiting for him. mr. murphey would have to be on vacation for that to happen!

BOOM!

i was sure he was joking but why take the joke to that limit. i began to hear the distinct sound of a large bird getting it's last flops.

that old turkey had come from miles away without gobbling another time, to wink at ole marcus nappin in the woods.

i reckon the nappin took care of the figetin.
that's the only turkey i ever called up that marcus actually got but i got a lot of turkey hunting practice hunting with him!

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
ROFLMAOPMP.. :lol:

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Squacks,
I gotta agree with Gunjunkie on this one. I think that I just wet my britches on this one.

Marcus must be related to my brother because he goes to sleep with his seatbelt buckled in the swivel chair up in the deer stand 12 feet above the ground. I think that his snoring actually causes deer to come closer to see what the noise might be. I know that it is not funny but my Brother suffered severe hearing loss while serving in the Navy many years ago. I tell him all the time that he surely can't hear any deer so he has to be able to see one before he can get ready. He has killed a few deer while waking up and seeing deer walking around his stand. These stands are box type with sides and tops and a ladder. (And thankfully a rack that holds his gun in place until he really needs it).

·
Registered
221 Posts
HEY SQUAKS, when you going down to leverpullers this year, im going this weekend, maybe you can teach me a thing or two sometime, i live about 30 min from him and he was telling me how good you were at calling.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hogbuster: will be there sometime after this coming tues. will have to be during the week it looks like. hope we can set it up. can't wait to get up on top of that mountain behind his house. i got a small grudge agin a turkey or 2 up there!

luck!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Funny story, Squacks.

Great day in the woods today, but no turkey. I got 3 toms to gobble from their roost early this morning. Then it was tottal silence. Then later, around 1 o'clock, I got another to gobble once, then that was all. Hog and I went to the local gun shop/general store / hunter's meeting place and talked to a few hunters. They said they couldn't get any toms to gobble either. One fella, killed one and told Hog that the big beard didn't gobble one time. He just came in silent.

Squacks, I believe you might have your work cut out this coming week. But if anyone can call 'em in it would be you. Don't worry, I'll leave my sleeping bag at the house. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Squacks: If you come ill be able to get down there at 12:30, ill be leaving school, can you still can one in that late for me, whats your opinion on late day birds, can it be done, i have never killed a tom, but now i have the fever. Hearing the birds at Leverpullers was awsome, i was neverious/excited and ready to roll, too bad they didnt come in. Keep in Touch, BEN

·
Registered
356 Posts
Marcus is a man after my own heart - I can sleep anywhere!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
btt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts