Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preparing for an upcoming hunt I decided to tumble the rounds that I selected to use......you know the very special ones. They came out of the tumbler just as shiny and pretty. Always cycle the selected rounds to make sure all is well. Put four up the tube and began to cycle round number one slicker the goose poop, round two would not go into battery ???? Here's what I found. Hope the picture shows the media stuck in the crimping groove. Don't even want to think what might have happened on the actual hunt...real happy I did the cycle test. smoker
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,171 Posts
Why would you tumble loaded rounds? (not a good idea)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
23,800 Posts
Take a load you have not tumbled. Pull it apart and spread the powder on a white sheet of paper.


Now do the same with a tumbled round, and place the charge next the one that was not tumbled and then take a pic and post the results in this thread. I'm curious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,465 Posts
I have never had anything like that happen before. Can you scrape out the walnut media with a dental pick?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like I said, been doing it for more years than I like to remember that's why I wanted to tell you folks about it. Used to shoot Cowboy and always tumbled my rounds, made for reliable loading. I had only done 15 rounds so cleaning them wasn't a big deal, just used a stiff bristle brush, although a few were more difficult. Never stop learning, do we? smoker
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,465 Posts
Nope, never do. Just wondering because it was covered here. Do you guys cycle your rounds or shoot a few to confirm zero of "the lot" before a hunt? I would not go hunting without verifying zero of a specific loading session that I planned to take hunting.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,295 Posts
swany said:
Take a load you have not tumbled. Pull it apart and spread the powder on a white sheet of paper.


Now do the same with a tumbled round, and place the charge next the one that was not tumbled and then take a pic and post the results in this thread. I'm curious.
Been done on ARFCOM with more than 24 hours in the tumbler. Under magnification, no difference.

If powder broke down like that, simple transportation would make ammunition unstable.

ETA: Found the thread on ARFCOM. The time in the tumbler was over 200 hours. Link:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/303242_.html&page=1
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whether going out back to hunt Whitetail or going on an expensive hunt I always try to eliminate any possibility of an ammo malfunction. It's one of the very few things you can control. I will check zero at home and then again when I get there. smoker
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
Why tumble after loading? If you tumble and clean your brass after sizing, there is no need. Your can just wipe down the completed rounds with a towel as you inspect them.

Whoever did the study on the ARFCOM only used flake and ball powders. He totally ignored ignored the IMR type stick powders. Those results might have been different.

I still consider it a dangerous practice! Why ask for trouble!
M.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
I do it from time to time for various reasons. I tumble my 9mm loads that have case lube on them, just to clean them up. Some of the big ammo factories also tumble their ammo to clean it up and make it pretty. They generally tumble approximately 15 minutes according to one of the manufacturing engineers I used to work with.

Gary
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,295 Posts
80hp said:
Why tumble after loading? If you tumble and clean your brass after sizing, there is no need. Your can just wipe down the completed rounds with a towel as you inspect them.

Whoever did the study on the ARFCOM only used flake and ball powders. He totally ignored ignored the IMR type stick powders. Those results might have been different.

I still consider it a dangerous practice! Why ask for trouble!
M.
And how do you reconcile the vibration from hours of transportation with this opinion?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
imashooter2 said:
And how do you reconcile the vibration from hours of transportation with this opinion?
I agree! Think about cases of rifle and pistol ammo riding in the cargo hold of a C-130 for 10 to 20 hours. Those birds vibrate worse than my tumbler!

Gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
I also do this. Both practices. Always have. I have also pulled bullets after running them through for about 30 minutes and powder was fine. I always check zero on new batch of ammo...is why I always load extra's.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top