Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has Marlin ever made a 22LR version like the 983? Woodstock, blued barrel, etc....

I am looking for a slightly barrel heavy bolt actioned 22LR for still hunting; not interested in bull barrels.

Lastly, is the ejector port the same length on the 983 as the 981T? So, could I just buy the 983 stock and put it on the plastic stocked tube fed bolt action 22LR?

Thanks,

Rex

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
I have to admit - I don't even have a tube fed bolt gun......just the levers.

Shum8

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/boltAction22/981T.htm#

This is the only current offering from Marlin in a tube fed .22 lr bolt gun. It will feed shorts, longs and long rifles. You'd have to contact Marlin on stock options- they've been helpful to those wanting to buy better stocks in the past....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did marlin ever make alot of wood stocked tube fed bolt action guns, and so if i can across one at my local gun shop would it be a good investment since they dont make them any more, My local gun shop has one on the used rack that I have had my eye on for a while, and its in good condition, but it is a little older.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Rex,
If I were you I would get on gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com and look for a marlin 81, stevens 86, or savage 5. You can still find good ones fairly cheap, a lot cheaper than buying a new marlin then restocking it. And I personally think they are better rifles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Sarge, I will look them up. Do you shoot any of them? Dont mean to be a pest, but detail would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rex

·
Registered
932 Posts
Rex,
I have a stevens 86 and it is a fine rifle. I don't have a scope on it but with my poor eyes and open sights it sure appears to be accurate although I have never shot groups with it.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Rex,
I just looked on gunbroker and there are 2 stevens, a 66c and an 86c, also a couple of marlin 81 rifles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Sarge! I found an 81 at Whittikers, thinking about getting it. 100$!

How is the handling of your rifle? I am looking for one that has lots of "hang" for offhand shooting at squirrels in the early season. You know, when you are pearing at wholes in the leaves for a glimpse of a squirrel, and end up shooting off of one leg while leaning around a tree!

Thanks,

Rex

·
Registered
932 Posts
Rex,
The stevens 66 and 86, savage 5 would most likely have the "hang" you want, so would one of the old mossbergs although they are more expensive. Those old mossbergs are great rifles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Sarge, I will be on the look out for those rifles. Wish we had a good gun show come through here, would make finding one easier.

Good shooting,

Rex

·
Registered
932 Posts
Rex,
Cape Girardeau has gun shows pretty often I think. You shouldn't be too far from there. Gunlist magazine has a good listing of gun shows in each issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Sarge, I will look up the Gunlist magazine for gunshows. I think there are shows in Little Rock at times, just dont know when. The one in Memphis is the pits.

The Cape is a couple of hours away, I think. We drive through there once or twice a year or so going to relatives in St. Louis.

Good shooting,

Rex

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
RexM -

You just missed one of the better ones at LR. The Arkansas Gun & Cartridge Collectors Club has a show twice yearly, usually in Feb/Mar & Aug/Sep. Usually a pretty good show (they don't allow anything except firearms or related items, NO yard sale or crafts stuff) but the one last month wasn't as good as usual. R-J shows usually has one every 3-4 months & also in Hot Springs. The South Hot Springs Lions Club also has a pretty good small show every 3-4 months. Think there'll be one in HS Oct 29 & 30 at the Convention Center. Most of the ones in AR are usually advertised in the DemGaz. If I can remember, I'll give you a heads-up when I see one coming up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts