Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I work at a range and a sweet old lady has a rifle she is trying to get rid of, a 1958 (R Prefix) Marlin 336 RC in .30-30 (pictures and a box of 16), belonging to her late husband, no idea how old she is/he was, but silver/white hair. I am interested it buying it and was wondering if I could get a consensus on possible pricing, as I have not had a chance to take at look at the rifle myself, as well as being new to the lever action world. The leather holster/case should come with the rifle. If it helps in decisions, I want to give her what the rifle is worth because she is trying to raise capital for her daughter to get a pistol for conceal carry, and its a hard life doing that in California.
Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Wood stain
Wood Revolver Shotgun Gun accessory Handgun holster
Wood Line Cylinder Bicycle part Pipe
Input device Material property Automotive tire Font Personal protective equipment

Brown Bag Luggage and bags Eyewear Material property
Office supplies Font Rectangle Material property Tints and shades

Attachments

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Here in central Georgia, that rifle would go for $900 to $1000 easy. Beat to hell Marlins go for $800. I picked up a Mossberg Model 479 (336 clone) a few weeks back for $500.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
743 Posts
I’d wait for a better one to come along because to me that one I would pay $500-$550 considering it has some collectible ammo and that scabbard with it. Gun will probably clean up well with some 0000 steel wool, generous lube, and elbow grease.

But, more worthwhile would be helping her get max value from someone else so she can make the purchase for her daughter. Help her put it on GB. Or, if you work at a range, I’m sure you can help facilitate someone that will give her more then you should because they want to. Doesn’t put the rifle in your closet, but helps down the road.

·
Banned
2,609 Posts
There's one for sale locally in much better shape but from 1974. Comes with Skinner Express sight, base and rings plus one box of shells for $900.00. And hasn't sold in three weeks.

I personally wouldn't pay more than $350 for that rifle in that condition but I also already have a 1951 in very good shape.

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
That Rifle is in rough shape. As other members said it could be cleaned up with elbow grease. That rifle would be suited for someone that wants a range rifle for practice or a hunter that isn't concerned about the Finish. 30-30 Marlins are as common as dirt. In North Central PA that rifle would go for $325 to 350 without the leather case. An internet search could find the value of the case.

I suggest taking the advice of others that suggested that the rifle is sold to someone else that wants a beater. :(

Mike T.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Condition is everything in buying/selling used firearms. That said, my opinion is max of $400 on the rifle. I'd say $75 on the leather scabbard (which would be of no use to me besides display) and $25 for what is an old box of collectible ammo. I wouldn't shoot the ammo but also use for display only.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do 👍

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I think the condition is OK, there is blue wear and thin rust which should clean up easily. The stocks look good....but is missing the bullseye...also missing thw front sight hood and rear sight. So this is not an older collectors shape rifle. But definatly a nice shooting hunting hunting rifle, put a scope on it, or a rear peep sight .... and have fun ..... I think $550 to $ 600 is a fair price....

·
Registered
926 Posts
In south central Kentucky if the look like they’ve been vested to death and drug down a gravel road they’ll ask you $800. If it were me and I was in the market, and I’d be sorely tempted as I love the guns from the 50’s, I’d be interested at $400-$500. I think it will clean up nice enough.

That said, I have no idea what they sell for in California.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Looks to me that prices are regional. Here in MT that rifle would go from 350 to 450 depending on who is selling it. The scabbard is 25 bucks tops. There is a lot of bluing gone on that rifle and it is pretty well used. It has been drilled and tapped. Are the holes drilled to Marlin specs? Or some random spacing? I'd look it over carefully. What is the condition of the bore?

·
Super Moderator
13,983 Posts
I would say here in Florida rifle would be around $500.00. The leather easy another $100.00 maybe more to the right person. I would guess in California the rifle would go for a little more but not sure.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Not to disparage or be a party-poop, but..... You work at a range and don't know how to check the valuation on a rifle? Doesn't the facility have a go-to person who does that? And there are numerous resources online that can assist you in getting a general idea of the value of a used gun. One would think that you should know this already.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I have a good idea on what possibilities I should be looking at, thanks for the help everyone. And to answer some questions, I'd want it for target shooting, and could clean it up if I wanted it nicer looking. We haven't been able to take a look at the rifle in our hands to see anything, as she mentioned she had it and I might be interested. As for the guy at my place of work, he was off by the time she and her daughter came in, and these were photos sent to me rather than the business.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm in California where everything is more expensive, especially guns.
That carbine is well used and the metal surfaces are best described as "patina". It will need a rear sight, which you can find on ebay for probably $30 or a scope and Weaver style rings to make it shootable. And it will most likely be a good shooter. I have seen a lot of Marlin 336's in that kind of condition for around $750-$800 here lately. Not sure if anyone is willing to pay that much but that is what retail gun stores and gun show sellers are asking. To me, that's about a $400 shooter but then again I haven't seen one in that condition and price for a couple of years at least. Any pre-cross bolt safety Marlin and especially pre Remington or Ruger made guns are worth a premium regardless of condition it seems.

The saddle scabbard may be worth a few bucks though, if it is a Lawrence for example it would be an easy sell on ebay and might bring enough money to ease the pain of over paying for the rifle. The ammo is probably worth $40-$50 in today's crazy environment as well.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts