Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Man sounds like one heck of a deal. A Marlin sling, one box of ammo, and a case, dang man you done GOOD. I bought a 444SS last Nov. got it online, and with shipping transfer fee and background check, I have like $525, but mine did come with a scope, but I've since changed it out. In fact I never even put that scope back on it. Congrats! :congrats:Waitin on pics.:tee:
Gotta finish paying it off. I'll probably scope it due to my eyesight. The young man that owns the store had a Lyman Alaskan and wanted to put it on the rifle for me free of charge. I told him he needs to hang onto the scope, because they fetch premium prices when they're in good shape. This one was. He's the son of a guy I knew many years ago and has only been open for three months and I told him if I let him install the scope I'd be taking advantage of him. Any way I have several at home I can choose from. I even have an old Marlin 6X from the 1960's.

· Registered
274 Posts
Gun running past my wife is my specialty. Bring the new gun into the house and tell her that your friend from work had barrowed your gun to try out to see if he liked it so he could look for his own gun. He is just returning it now, and put it back in the safe, and they are none wiser.

· Registered
2,570 Posts
Gun running past my wife is my specialty. Bring the new gun into the house and tell her that your friend from work had barrowed your gun to try out to see if he liked it so he could look for his own gun. He is just returning it now, and put it back in the safe, and they are none wiser.
Well I used to tell the wife "Oh that one has been in the safe". Worked until I ran out of room in the safe. Told her last week we need a second safe so we can safely store papers and records.

· Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Run and buy it. You will love it.
Thanks T-E. I took everyone's advice and put it in lay away about a month ago. One more payment and it'll be in my hands. I'll post pics when I get it out of hock!
My post of 5/20/2014
I took all the great advice here and put it on layaway today. I found a couple of minor scuffs on the wood I hadn't seen, but nothing that won't clean up. I also didn't notice before it has a Marlin sling and has the cowboy rubber butt pad. The guy is throwing in a box of Hornady LeveRevolution ammo.

· Registered
86 Posts
Good idea the boys over on gunbroker are running up a .444 2003-2010 NIB JM lever gun this afternoon . Last i checked an hour ago it was at $850. By the time you add $40 shipping and $40 FFL transfer thats $930 out the door. Most of the nicer JM models are bringing around $600-650 and again if you add shipping and FFL fee thats close or above $700. Buyers who are paying the big bucks usually have no rating so that would indicate they are one time or first time buyers. Probably acquiring one for Ohio. Just guessing on motivations.

· Registered
292 Posts
Puma Guy - You are a very lucky guy, not only for landing the Marlin in such great shape, but for living in such a great place. We celebrate San Jacinto day every year in April and will always do so. The way they teach history these days, many may not know what happened there. Maybe we could get you to fill them in?

Reactions: navajo

· Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Puma Guy - You are a very lucky guy, not only for landing the Marlin in such great shape, but for living in such a great place. We celebrate San Jacinto day every year in April and will always do so. The way they teach history these days, many may not know what happened there. Maybe we could get you to fill them in?
So here goes. Hijacking my own thread:biggrin:

I'm not sure what kind of history teacher I'd make, but here's a quick version. Hopefully it will entice a few to look up some genuine historical reports.
Texas was settled while under Spanish rule by Moses Austin and his son Stephen F. Austin; continuing on after Mexico's independence when it became a part of Mexico. France laid claim to Texas as well , part of the Six Flags Over Texas. (it's not just a theme park)
The settlers of Texas rebelled after General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna dissolved the Constitution of 1824 as well as the Mexican Congress and state legislatures; he gave himself dictatorial powers. The Texians responded by taking over Mexican Army garrisons and pushed the remaining Mexican forces out of Texas in a major confrontation in San Antonio (not the Battle of the Alamo). Hundreds immigrated to Texas to join the new republic and to join the Texas Army. Santa Anna responded with 6,000 troops and defeated the Texians at the Alamo. He also captured and executed a large force near Goliad. What remained of the Texas Army led by General Sam Houston retreated eastward and eventually ended up in a marshy area near the confluence of the San Jacinto River and Buffalo Bayou. Santa Anna had his troops near by and on April 20, 1836 received some 500 reinforcements. Sam Houston had about 900 men and Santa Anna now had about 1400. General Santa Anna staged a seasoned, well trained army strategically that day and then began planning his assault using the tactics that had proved so successful for him. There were a couple of small skirmishes, one that could have been a major event but both sides settled in for what ever would come next. What came next was Sam Houston's surprise attack on the Mexican. The next day April 21, at about 4:30PM, Houston led his men toward the enemy, From about a thousand yards way, using tree lines and whatever he could to shield his men from sight Houston drew near enough to attack and completely surprise Santa Anna. The attack and battle lasted 18 minutes with about 600 of Santa Anna's men killed and about 750 captured. Nine Texans were killed. Santa Anna was captured the following day. Sam Houston was shot in the ankle during the battle. On May 14, Santa Anna as head of the Mexican Government signed the Treaty of Velasco. Texas Independence was settled on April 21, 1836 and The Battle of San Jacinto is celebrated in Texas each year with re-enactments of the battle. Like many states Texas has a rich history; few are written in the blood of brave men fighting for what they believed to be right against odds that seemed to be against them.
Here's a link from Texas A&M University.

The Battle of San Jacinto
Edit: While the term "come and take it" originated in the American Revolution as a response to the British who demanded a fort surrender. it is most associated with Texas. Texans fashioned a flag with a cannon and and star with" come and take it" embellished on it after refusing to surrender a cannon at the Battle of Gonzales, the first battle of the Texas Revolution. Many who don't know the history of Texas certainly know of the legacy of this flag and it's use nowadays.

· Registered
2,943 Posts
Good idea the boys over on gunbroker are running up a .444 2003-2010 NIB JM lever gun this afternoon . Last i checked an hour ago it was at $850. By the time you add $40 shipping and $40 FFL transfer thats $930 out the door. Most of the nicer JM models are bringing around $600-650 and again if you add shipping and FFL fee thats close or above $700. Buyers who are paying the big bucks usually have no rating so that would indicate they are one time or first time buyers. Probably acquiring one for Ohio. Just guessing on motivations.
I guess I am one of those unrated guys who just bought a 444SS for $620. It's another Ballard barrel 444. Two quick reasons why I jumped.
1) Ballard barrel 444 Marlins are rare ('99-'09) and I need a Ballard barrel Marlin 444 SS for a 22" Safari Grade.
2) Cerebus investment group wants to dump their Fire arms mega-company named Freedom Group due to political pressures among their board of stockholders. They have made the company so huge that it isn't easy to dump. The Freedom Group (Remington, Marlin, Bushmaster, DPMS. etc) are in a state of more consolidation and de-investment such that it makes doing business with them a risky venture. For example if Freedom Group gets dissolved back to smaller companies to be able to move them, do you think a new Marlin co. is going to honor warranties of the last few years of shotty production. Who would?

· Super Moderator
26,503 Posts
I guess I "stole" mine from GB last fall. I paid 525 bucks for a NIB 2008 444 Marlin with a VG+ 1970s 2-7X Redfield Tracker scope. I ended up paying 575 bucks after postage and FFL fees. I probably couldn't get this rifle for that price now due to hunting reg changes in Ohio plus JM prices keep going crazy.

Gun Wood Hardwood Deck Swing

· Registered
292 Posts
So here goes. Hijacking my own thread:biggrin:

I'm not sure what kind of history teacher I'd make, but here's a quick version. Hopefully it will entice a few to look up some genuine historical reports.
Texas was settled while under Spanish rule by Moses Austin and his son Stephen F. Austin; continuing on after Mexico's independence when it became a part of Mexico. France laid claim to Texas as well , part of the Six Flags Over Texas. (it's not just a theme park)
The settlers of Texas rebelled after General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna dissolved the Constitution of 1824 as well as the Mexican Congress and state legislatures; he gave himself dictatorial powers. The Texians responded by taking over Mexican Army garrisons and pushed the remaining Mexican forces out of Texas in a major confrontation in San Antonio (not the Battle of the Alamo). Hundreds immigrated to Texas to join the new republic and to join the Texas Army. Santa Anna responded with 6,000 troops and defeated the Texians at the Alamo. He also captured and executed a large force near Goliad. What remained of the Texas Army led by General Sam Houston retreated eastward and eventually ended up in a marshy area near the confluence of the San Jacinto River and Buffalo Bayou. Santa Anna had his troops near by and on April 20, 1836 received some 500 reinforcements. Sam Houston had about 900 men and Santa Anna now had about 1400. General Santa Anna staged a seasoned, well trained army strategically that day and then began planning his assault using the tactics that had proved so successful for him. There were a couple of small skirmishes, one that could have been a major event but both sides settled in for what ever would come next. What came next was Sam Houston's surprise attack on the Mexican. The next day April 21, at about 4:30PM, Houston led his men toward the enemy, From about a thousand yards way, using tree lines and whatever he could to shield his men from sight Houston drew near enough to attack and completely surprise Santa Anna. The attack and battle lasted 18 minutes with about 600 of Santa Anna's men killed and about 750 captured. Nine Texans were killed. Santa Anna was captured the following day. Sam Houston was shot in the ankle during the battle. On May 14, Santa Anna as head of the Mexican Government signed the Treaty of Velasco. Texas Independence was settled on April 21, 1836 and The Battle of San Jacinto is celebrated in Texas each year with re-enactments of the battle. Like many states Texas has a rich history; few are written in the blood of brave men fighting for what they believed to be right against odds that seemed to be against them.
Here's a link from Texas A&M University.

The Battle of San Jacinto
Edit: While the term "come and take it" originated in the American Revolution as a response to the British who demanded a fort surrender. it is most associated with Texas. Texans fashioned a flag with a cannon and and star with" come and take it" embellished on it after refusing to surrender a cannon at the Battle of Gonzales, the first battle of the Texas Revolution. Many who don't know the history of Texas certainly know of the legacy of this flag and it's use nowadays.
Thanks for the synopsis Puma Guy. I think it's an important piece of history, and the battle with the mexicans still rages as far as I'm concerned.

· Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I picked up my .444 Marlin today.
I was planning to take some pics but it's been showering off and on and I wanted to take the photos outside.

I'm going to apply for Team .444 Membership when I get a picture to post

· Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Finally got around to get a couple of pictures of my new (to me) Marlin 444S, vintage 1980. The scope is a Marlin Micro-Power 4X I've had since the 1960's that I took off a 1965 336 RC Texan. Haven't been able to get to the range between some health issues and traveling, but hopefully soon I'll get to try it out with the ammo pictured. Marlin sling and cowboy rubber butt pad. My next post will be to join Team 444.

Gun Firearm Rifle Shotgun Trigger
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Shotgun

· Registered
826 Posts
You may have missed it, but I put it in lay away in May and picked it up June 21.
Well it looks like you follow directions well!! Even if some don't read the entire thread. :hmmmm:

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.