Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 1980 444S that is in really great shape. I found some spots on the top inside of the lever, but everything else is excellent shape. The guy wants $550 and it just seems a little high to me. What think you guys?

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Little bit of light surface rust in an obscure location is easy to deal with, should not be a deal breaker.

Reactions: Pereira

·
Registered
206 Posts
One thing is for certain, there will not be another JM Marlin rifle made. Also consider you most likely will not be paying sales tax, FFL fees or shipping and that is at least a $75 dollar savings. Is that enough motivation to justify another purchase, hope so. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I found my 1977 444S at a show. He wanted $550 as well. We settled on $500 and it looks brand new. With the popularity of the 444 hitting new hights as Ohio changes thier hunting regulations, I would bet that finding another 444S will be tough for you. I say try and get him to $500 and be happy you actually have one. I for sure would take another at $500 or $550 if it found me and looked new.

Hayden.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Run, Don't walk back to who has gun for sale and work out a deal and never look back. A small amount of rust in a obscure spot will come out with some careful rubbing with bronze wool and some oil. Price is pretty much in line right now. If you don't jump on it soon it will be gone and you might not run across another for a while.

·
Banned
1,761 Posts
444 prices are going up: because of random things like changing hunting regulations, but also like how many people are figuring out how great this caliber really is.

That's a pretty fair price. You're not likely to beat that in the future, unless you find a widow selling her late husband's Marlins for the price he told her he paid!

Brocky

·
Registered
969 Posts
Great gun, buy it!

BB

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Good price, go back and get it :)

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took all the great advice here and put it on layaway today. I found a couple of minor scuffs on the wood I hadn't seen, but nothing that won't clean up. I also didn't notice before it has a Marlin sling and has the cowboy rubber butt pad. The guy is throwing in a box of Hornady LeveRevolution ammo.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
man sounds like a deal especially with ammo.......can't wait to hear how it shoots
I'll get some pics and give a range report when I get it out of hock!

·
Registered
20,530 Posts
Congrats!:tee:

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Been trying to figure out how to get this in the house when I get it out of hock. The guy at the LGS said he'd give me the gun case it came with free. I'll just tell her it's a free gun case when she asks "What's that?"

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Buying an "off" caliber rifle is a double edge sword. On one side, there really isn't much ammuniton available for calibers from the mainstream suppliers. Then there is the fact that JM stamped Marlins are not being made anymore, and you really don't NEED a lot of ammunition for a big bore, if you are any kind of Marksman. Personally, I avoid those calibers because I don't reload (at as of right now) and I am not in favor of paying high prices for what commercial ammunition is available. There are places where a caliber is classifed as a "seasonal" product. The 35 Remington falls into the category. There is still ammuntion made for that caliber, but it is not always on dealer shelves.

From your description of how that transaction went down, it sounds like the seller knows that he is not selling a current caliber and decided to sweeten the deal for you. $500 and a free box of ammo sounds like a good compromise. If you are planning on buying it to shoot it and are not concerned about re-selling it, that will work.

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Registered
10,612 Posts
Man sounds like one heck of a deal. A Marlin sling, one box of ammo, and a case, dang man you done GOOD. I bought a 444SS last Nov. got it online, and with shipping transfer fee and background check, I have like $525, but mine did come with a scope, but I've since changed it out. In fact I never even put that scope back on it. Congrats! :congrats:Waitin on pics.:tee:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts