Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy I work with gave me a old box of federal 30-30 150gr fn bullets the box was all tapped up and the bulletin and brass were tarnished really bad... I’m seriously thinking about just stripping the components apart tossing the powder and primers and just reusing brass and bullets...
What you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
13,147 Posts
Guy I work with gave me a old box of federal 30-30 150gr fn bullets the box was all tapped up and the bulletin and brass were tarnished really bad... I’m seriously thinking about just stripping the components apart tossing the powder and primers and just reusing brass and bullets...
What you guys think?
Tarnished in color? If factory and they are just not shiny I would shoot them.

·
Registered
481 Posts
As long as they are not corroded bad and just tarnished up I would use them for some plinking.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that you can take home a deer with every one of those rounds.
As long as you have enough to check zero before hunting, I'd use 'em to make meat.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I have some ammo for the .45 ACO by Frankford arsenal that is stamped FA17. That ammo was made in 1917 and shot just fine. I know of some of those loads stamped FA13 and the guy that had them shot them and they all fired just fine. You ammo is probably just fine. Shoot them or break them down for components but my money says they'll just fine.
Paul B.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
If they are factory, I would shoot them. If the brass is badly corroded I would take some steel wool to those spots and then shoot it. Unless the rounds have been stored under water, I would expect each one to go bang.

If they are reloads I would tear them down. It's a good plan not to shoot anyone else's reloads. You never know....

·
Premium Member
9,958 Posts
shoot them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
What you guys think?
You were given bullets. The the box was tapped up? What does that mean? What are you referring to as the bulletin? How does one dismantle bullets? I am guessing you got some loaded cartridges that have tarnished brass and you're asking if you should shoot them or take them apart? Without pictures I lean towards shooting them if you're going to throw away the powder and primers ($0.25 per round or more right now) anyway. If there was a recall bulletin attached I would follow that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts