Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. I picked up an 1894CB45, 10 shot, 24 inch Octagon barrel, recently. I got curios about the date of manufacture. When I went to the marlin site for lookup it did not recognize the serial number ... 98XXXXXX which is on the left side of the receiver rather than the tang (i hope that's the correct terminology) like my other Marlins. The barrel is stamped JM. Any help is appreciated.

· Registered
9,810 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Super Moderator
26,383 Posts
Are you sure that the serial number starts with 98? Marlin moved the serial number to the left side of the receiver in 2008 and that was continued after Remington took over production in 2009.

Reactions: Maineiac

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you sure that the serial number starts with 98? Marlin moved the serial number to the left side of the receiver in 2008 and that was continued after Remington took over production in 2009.
Yep ... and I put on my reading glasses. Looking at it right now ... and it's listed on the factory box label also.

· Registered
9,810 Posts
I am not sure of the exact date when they moved the serial numbers, but it does coincide with Remington buying out Marlin. I think the change over occurred in 2011. Other more knowledgeable people may chime in. My 2012 336SS is definitely made by Remington. I am guessing the new Marlin site will only recognize the Remington base serial numbers. The Remington made Marlins can be dated by the Remington codes on the barrel.

This thread will provide some reading. https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/1894/333274-new-marlin-mr-serial-number-date-manufacture.html

And this link too: https://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun Articles/remington_barrel_date_code.html

· Registered
825 Posts
I believe the serial number was moved to the left side of the receiver some time around 1996 when the 1894 cowboys came out.
It was done so a tang sight could be mounted on the tang and not cover up the serial number that was usually there.

· Super Moderator
26,383 Posts
I don't own any of the CB models--but my 1895s/444 Marlins/1894s/336s/MXs/XLRs/39s/Levermatics/Store Brand 336s all have the serial number on the tang until 2008. Thats when the switch occurred for the mainstream Marlin models. As far as the limited edition or specialty Marlin models--I don't have a clue.

Reactions: tradarcher

· Super Moderator
16,750 Posts
I'm not absolutely sure about the 45 Colt CB I have made in 2001, but I think the serial number is on the side, I'll check that tonight. The 45/70CB I have from 2009 is on the side. Read somewhere here that Marlin put the numbers on the side of the CB models, not like Remington Marlin does with all it's models today.

· Registered
3,284 Posts
My Marlins are all floozies. They all stand around waiting their turn with me!

I wish they'd left the serial number on the bottom tang, but it can be changed out from the receiver which would alter the original serial number.

· Registered
1,132 Posts
My Marlins are all floozies. They all stand around waiting their turn with me!

I wish they'd left the serial number on the bottom tang, but it can be changed out from the receiver which would alter the original serial number.
Bottom tang??
The bottom tang is separate of the rec'r and is the trigger group. The top tang is part of the rec'r.
LG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.