Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I was out at the range yesterday to sight in my '06 and could not get my scope zeroed. When moving the scopes adjustments all the way down, I'm still hitting about 10 inches high. The groups are wonderful, hitting about 1.3" but like I said, it's almost a foot over where I am aiming.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you fix it. I'm open to new bases or rings. Trying to stay away from shimming the front, have heard that it could bend the scope tube.

·
Premium Member
16,785 Posts
Hey Flash,

With 6" ring spacing, you need .010" under the front. Just to get to the bottom of your adjustment. Most of the long range crowd, shim the back of scope, up.. Sounds to me you have a 300 yd zero. Are there shims under the rear?

Later, Mark

·
Registered
981 Posts
What scope do you have on it? If it's holding a group, and you are using the correct bases, the issue is with the regulation of the scope turrets.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
200 yd zero. Like I said, it's holding groups. I just can't get it to move down anymore. The scope is facing downwards farther than the barrel.

I have a bushnell elite 4200 on it.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I would first remove the scope and mechanically zero it. Turn it down all the way. Then turn it up all the way and then exactly in the middle. Do this for both up/down and right/left. Then mount the scope in the rings and snug up the screws using a good removable thread locker. Take it someplace you can see 100yds and pull the bolt. Sight down the bore at the target and adjust your scope to be on target. If you can't get it on you got a serious problem with the scope, rings or base so try a different scope. If I looks good take it to the range and fire away. Good luck!

·
Registered
981 Posts
200 yd zero. Like I said, it's holding groups. I just can't get it to move down anymore. The scope is facing downwards farther than the barrel.

I have a bushnell elite 4200 on it.
I do have a Bushnell trophy that is backwards in it's adjustments. If I follow the arrows for left-right adjustments, it goes the opposite way. other than that it works fine and holds zero. Maybe you have the same type of problem?:hmmmm:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would first remove the scope and mechanically zero it. Turn it down all the way. Then turn it up all the way and then exactly in the middle. Do this for both up/down and right/left. Then mount the scope in the rings and snug up the screws using a good removable thread locker. Take it someplace you can see 100yds and pull the bolt. Sight down the bore at the target and adjust your scope to be on target. If you can't get it on you got a serious problem with the scope, rings or base so try a different scope. If I looks good take it to the range and fire away. Good luck!

The way to zero a scope is to take a cardboard box of a size equaling the distance between rings. Cut "V's" in the opposite sides of the box. Lay the scope in the V's and rotate it through 360 degrees. You will see the crossharrs go up and down and back and forth. Adjust the elevation and windige until there is no movement when you rotate through the full 360 degrees. When you are done, the scope will be set for zero.

This will also confirm that your adjustments are working as they should.

There has also been a thread here that some X7's require a shim under the front base. I don't remember the details because mine did not require one so I paid little attention to the thread.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Has anyone else had this problem?
I have received a couple sets of rings mismatched, and a couple sets of bases mismatched over time. And they were not El Cheepo's either. If you can snag the manufacturers specs, you can check to make sure they didn't get mixed on their way to you somehow. Doesn't take much and you're outa' adjustments.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have a Bushnell trophy that is backwards in it's adjustments. If I follow the arrows for left-right adjustments, it goes the opposite way. other than that it works fine and holds zero. Maybe you have the same type of problem?:hmmmm:
Mine is also adjusted backwards except mine is the elevation that is off. When I turn the dial "up", the cross hairs move down. Have already worked with that. Just cant get the scope to reach POI.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Scopes are marked for shot placement adjustment, not crosshair placement. So if you turn you scope in the up direction as indicated on the knob it will move your shot placemet UP and your cross hairs DOWN, or if you adjust your knob to the left your shot placement will move LEFT and your crosshairs will move RIGHT.

The easiest way to re-zero your scope it to go in the bathroom, scope on its lowest setting put the front bell of your scope on the mirror and line the two sets of crosshairs up. You will be at zero.

If you mount your scope and check it by boresighting. If you have to move more that one full turn in any direction adjust your mounting system. The further away from center line of the scopes internal optics the more ambient light you let in and washed out your scope will look. It also reduces low light preformance.

-Clayton

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scopes are marked for shot placement adjustment, not crosshair placement. So if you turn you scope in the up direction as indicated on the knob it will move your shot placemet UP and your cross hairs DOWN, or if you adjust your knob to the left your shot placement will move LEFT and your crosshairs will move RIGHT.
Yes, I'm sorry. Thats what I meant turning the knob up moves my shot placement down. They are backwards. Maybe I should have been a little better with my wording.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Scopes are marked for shot placement adjustment, not crosshair placement. ....
-Clayton
the last I knew, you adjusted the x-hair to the point where you want the bullet to go. I've never had a scope that didn't use a x-hair to position the bullet impact.:hmmmm:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Think they are referring to the turret markings, "scopes are marked for shot placement adjustment" should be "turrets are marked for..."

Up on turrets means the poi (shot placement) goes up, not the crosshairs

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Simply stated if you adjust in the UP direction it moves your x-hair up and the POI down you and I both know that but I have had 3 guys at the range get confused by that fact for some reason or another when they shoot one round and try to adjust the x-hair to POI by counting clicks they look at the knob marking and ask "why is this backward?" for some reason they were thinking I need to move the bullet UP the target and adjust that way. It was not the correct way to sight in a scope anyway but that's how all 3 of them were trying to do it.

I should say that they are returning to the bull after every adjustment.

I have no idea why they do that but some people get confused that's all I was trying to make clear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Simply stated if you adjust in the UP direction it moves your x-hair up and the POI down you and I both know that but I have had 3 guys at the range get confused by that fact for some reason or another when they shoot one round and try to adjust the x-hair to POI by counting clicks they look at the knob marking and ask "why is this backward?" for some reason they were thinking I need to move the bullet UP the target and adjust that way. It was not the correct way to sight in a scope anyway but that's how all 3 of them were trying to do it.

I should say that they are returning to the bull after every adjustment.

I have no idea why they do that but some people get confused that's all I was trying to make clear.

Not correct.

If the rifle is in a gun vice or shooting stand (typical bench rest) and you are bore sighting and the cross hairs are on a point above what you see through the bore, the vertical adjustment needs to be turned in the up direction to lower the cross hairs to the same point seen through the bore.

You are not elevating the bore, you are lowering the cross hairs.

Now once you start shooting the gun and you find that the bullet is striking the target an inch or whatever lower than the point at which you aimed, you move the dial in the direction marked "up". Again, this causes the barrel to be raised because the cross hairs are lowered.

The same thing happens in the opposite. If the gun shoots high, turn the dial in the direction marked down. The cross hairs actually move up in relation to the barrel which results in the impact being lowered.

The same is correct when adjusting for windage. When the gun is in the bench vice, the adjustments are opposite of what is marked on the scope because you are moving the scope. When aiming, you want to move the gun barrel and you move the dials in the direction marked to get the impact to move in the direction marked.

If the gun is shooting left of point of aim and you want to move the impact point to the right, you move the dial the appropriate number of clicks to the right.

So the $64 question is: Are you moving the scope to a certain point with the barrel fixed in a vice or stand or are you moving the barrel.

I only own two brands of scopes: One 40 year old Redfield and the rest Leupold and they all make the point clear.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
OK lets just say that its hard to talk about on paper CHAT. People get the movement of the x-hairs backwards. Thats all nothing more.

If i put my scope in a vise and turn the adjustment in the down direction, OMG the x-hairs are moving UP! Holy cow! I'm adjusting UP why are the x-hairs moving down?!? Why is that Mr shooter?

People wanting to bring there x-hairs TO POI get it backwards while looking at the Turrets.

Thats what I'm talking about I hope I have explained it simply enough now!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just to relay what happened when I installed my Nikon Prostaff BDC. I bought a boresight laser that slips into the muzzle end of the barrel and saw that the laser dot was waaaaay to the left. So, I moved the reticle to align with the laser. When I got to the range, I couldn't even hit the paper at 50 yards. I ended up using a man-sized target just to see where it was hitting. Sure enough, my shots were just on the left edge of the paper. After cranking the windage knob left and right to find the center, it was almost perfect. Turns out, it would have been fine if I had left it alone since the boresight laser was bad. Cost me a $20 box of ammo, a few targets and my pride in front of my daughter who was spotting me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts