Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up some rounds the other day labeled .308 win. I thought they were mil-surp but they could've been reloads.(I'm new to this stuff). Anyway I opened the bolt and put one in the chamber but the bolt won't lock. When I pull back it still ejects the round. The brass is labeled LC LR 07. I put a Winchester ballistic silvertip in and the action is smooth as silk. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
they are lake city mil-surp brass reloaded it sounds like. apparently not fully sized properly. id pull em for the brass. LC'c are good brass.

·
Registered
28 Posts
most likely as the others said not sized properly, could be too long of a case length too, but not likely unless they're reloads with cases that were shot several times and not trimmed back to below max length. if you don't wanna pull the bullets, you might be able to get away with removing the decapping assembly from a full length die and running the whole round up in the die; depends on what brand die you have tho, with some it won't work

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
My 2cents
If they were reloads it might be just as well you could not fire them. For instance, you don't know what kind of powder they were charged with or its weight. Until you find that much out, I would not fire them in anything. Could be overloads for all anyone knows.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So basically, it looks like I'm the proud owner of a big bag of crap. I guess I'll try to find someone around here who reloads and have them break them down and start over. Awesome!

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Center Mass said:
So basically, it looks like I'm the proud owner of a big bag of crap. I guess I'll try to find someone around here who reloads and have them break them down and start over. Awesome!
Wait a sec---how many did you buy? ??? If you don't reload, offer to trade them for 1/2 the amount of quality hunting ammo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got 50 of them. I think the guy that owns the local gun shop reloads. Maybe he'll do a trade with me.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Center Mass said:
That was a funny remark! Yeah I've gotten plies of crud too sometimes trying to save money, which obviously ended up costing more. Set the two bullets side by side, see if the crap case is longer or if the bullet is poking out farther.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
mainly look carefully at the shoulder length compared to factory. thats where the problem with resizing is usually.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't tell any difference by looking in the overall length. Where the neck ends it does seem to have a rough edge. Good news is my neighbor has a Century Arms .308 that shoots them just fine so he's gonna trade me out some of his belted 7.62 ball ammo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts