Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in knowing how many trim their brass when reloading. I didn't trim the brass as long as it was within limits of the OAL cartridge specs when reloaded. The Lee Factory crimp die spec sheet says variations in case lengths is not critical to the crimp. However I have started to trim all brass, for the 45-70,to the 2.095 length to produce more uniform reloaded rounds, and for use in other 45-70s, and for safety's sake. The problem with trimming is that Lee's manual says brass should not be reused more than four times if it is trimmed and full length resized because of the flow of brass and thinness around the web area. I haven't measured the cases on the brass prep gauge, but it got me to thinking about doing so on brass that was used, resized, and trimmed four times.
Do any of you use 45-70 brass more than four times after trimming and full length resizing? Do you trim your brass, or use it only in one and the same rifle all the time ? What length do you trim to, if you do? I know pistol cases do not flow as much as rifle cases and don't need to be trimmed as much, but if not trimmed can they only be used in the same pistol? (because the cases expand to the chamber, but cool and contract some.) Also, with shoulder/necked cases trimming seems to be more critical after full length resizing and trimming. or do you usually just neck size rather than full length size with them? Hope some of you long time reloaders will share your practices and experience. Thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
First off, this is based on my experience, so it may be dead wrong :D

I tend to check case length everytime I load a case. I find that it just makes life easy.

I believe you have to read between the lines on the Lee information. IF your cases NEED to be trimed then four times would be about right. They are basing this on a trim to minimum length and then triming when the case reaches MAX length. To do that you would have to be moving some brass.

From what I have read, most of the stretch comes from the expander being pulled out of the mouth of the case when you resize. All always use powdered mica as an inside the neck lub before resizing.

Working between min and max before you trim you will be able to get 10 to 12 reloads. It takes about three resizings to stretch the neck. So if you get even two reloads before you HAVE to trim, the four the LEE refers too comes out to at least eight reloads.

IIRC, the 45-70 is a straigt wall case is it not? I do not think case head seperation is a problem with these. It is my understanding that this happens with bottle neck cases like the 30-06. If the case is sized short, i.e. the shoulder pushed back when you resize, when it is chambered and fired the shoulder tries to go forward and the case head goes back. With time the case will seperate just above the head.

I use the LEE FC dies and think they are great. And yes, they will put a crimp into almost anything, reguardless of case length. But I find that for the most uniform ammo, and the most accurate, you want eveyting to be EXACTLY the same from round to round. Yes the LEE will crimp long and short cases, but the long will have more brass in the crimp than the short. The bullet pull will not be the same. The POI will likely not be the same.

It's like the old maid said when she wizzed in the sea, " Every little bit helps". :lol:

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
I trim my 45-70 brass if it reaches 2.105" and then only trim to 2.1". However, trimming brass with these standards is a rare occurrance with Winchester brass. I also don't full length size my 45-70 brass because I always use it in the same rifle (after about six loadings it may need a full length pull so they cycle and chamber appropriately). I use a Lyman 45 caliber neck die to size only to the base of the next seated bullet, the Lyman 'M' die to expand and prepare the case for bullet seating, and the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemen-Mostly what Jackfish said. I trim the brass short and it grows slow. for hunting ammo I resize (full) every once in awhile. Mostly I use a Lyman Short Neck Case Die. Truth is I was expecting to get the M die and goofed on the numbers. But at this point I wouldn't change my proceedure. Getting them bullets set in the case is the big deal fro accuracy in my case. Note-I give new brass the full reloading treatment the first time. trim, FS, ream, uniform pockets outside and remove inside flap, shake rattle and roll. and get advice from knowledgeble Riflemen about loads right here. then check em for sensibility in some books. Forgot the question but that's what I do. Life is good, BestLever

1 - 5 of 5 Posts