Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this might get a quicker response here rather than on the reloading section so:
Have a bunch of 1X .375W cases I'm prepping for the tumbler. Ordered a new .375 Forster pilot from Midway. It arrived today and it mikes .370 but......after sizing the cases with my Hornady dies, the pilot will not enter the case mouths for trimming. I even used the expander die to slightly bell a couple. Th pilot will only enter the case as far as the expander went. I checked it on a couple new but yet unsized Win. 38-55 cases and it works on those but any suggestions for trimming the .375s ?? :hmmmm:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi DRYPOWDER,

The simplest and most accurate way to trim 375 Win. brass, which I have found, is to trim with a Lee case length gage and a Lee Zip Trim. I have used these tools for 15 years and have always been well pleased with the results. I had tried other trimming tools from RCBS and Lyman, but found them to be too much trouble. When I used RCBS and Lyman trimmers and had a pilot which was a bit over-sized, I would chuck it in a hand drill and use a 400-grit Norton India stone to reduce its diameter until it just slipped into a sized case mouth, and then polish it with 600-grit emory paper. I had to do that to several pilots, and it worked just fine.

Don't forget to consider your sizing die, for it may be "over-sizing" your cases (I.E reducing the case diameter too much).

Best wishes,
Rushbeau

·
Registered
42 Posts
I trim the cases before sizing with my Hornady trimer if the pilot is too tight.

If I use one of my Lee Trimmer pilots and they are tight, I use a Lee Universal Decapping tool first (great tool). I then trim the casing afterwhich I size the casing. It is just a matter of order and being consistant in your loading steps.

I would just shoot those 1X 375 cases and trim them next loading session.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

I agree with Musky. also trimming cases before or after sizing makes little difference with straight wall cases. Bottle neck cases can stretch when sized so I trim after sizing but with the straight walled 375 and 38-55 cases that don't stretch it doesn't matter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts